Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:32 PM   #1

Default Good tripod for both digicam and camcorder?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here has a good tripod that they use for both their digital camera AND their camcorder?
I have a Minolta Dimage A1 and a Sony DCR-TRV25 Mini DV camcorder, and often take them both to my daughters' marching band/drumline/jazz/concert reviews, as well as their tae kwondo and sporting events. I got a very cheap(and kinda cheesy) tripod in the bundle I got the camcorder with. It's not very stable, and the pan swivel has a lot of stiction...and I don't think my A1 or my TRV25 deserve that! :x

I would like to keep my budget for it around $140 or less(if possible). I've been casually looking at Slik, Velbon, and Bogen/Manfrotto, but am not sure which of their models would be the most appropriate.

Lastly, could anyone please explain the benefits or advantages(or not) of having a ball head on the tripod over one of those 3-way pan and tilt heads? Please consider that this tripod is for both my digicam and my camcorder....Many thanks to all! And sorry this post is so long.... :roll:

Take care.
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 2:01 PM   #2

goto

www.bogenphoto.com

manfrotto tripods

ref the manfrotto 728B as a starting point. from there you can mix and match on any of their legs and heads. they are the best quality products for the $$$
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:43 PM   #3

Hi sjms,

Thanks for your suggestion and for the bogen link!

As a matter of fact, I have been taking a good look at the 728B. It seems like a very good value, considering its price and the fact that it is a Manfrotto. I've also been looking at the mix and match leg sets and heads. The 190SSB kinda caught my eye(I'll be taking it with me on family hikes), as well as the 3001Pro. I really like the 3021, but I think that it would be a little heavy and unwieldy to tote around all day. As for heads, I've been looking at the 3130 and the new(?) 700RC, since I'll be using the tripod for both my A1 as well as my Sony mini dv camcorder. Are you familiar with these heads? And would I be foolish to get a tripod with an integrated head?

Man, going through all of Bogen's options is like looking at a restaurant menu that has pages of selections! :shock:

Thank you very much! I appreciate all the help that you and the other experts here give to us newbies! Take care.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:13 PM   #4

Default Re: Good tripod for both digicam and camcorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukispop
... to my daughters' marching band/drumline/jazz/concert reviews, as well as their tae kwondo and sporting events. ...
Those sound more like the kind of situation where you find a good place to stand and pretty much stay there. For sure not a 15 mile hike over steep hillsides.

Rather than comprimise, pick the main use for the tripod - likely the camcorder - and get a head that suits it. If you get a tripod with a removable centerpost, you can get another center post to put a different head on to suit the digicam later if you want.

Keep in mind that heavy is good in a tripod - the weight gives stability which is the whole point of a tripod. It is also true that a cast iron frying pan is a great cooking tool, but not one you would want to take on a long kayak trip.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 9:12 PM   #5

Default Re: Good tripod for both digicam and camcorder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Those sound more like the kind of situation where you find a good place to stand and pretty much stay there. For sure not a 15 mile hike over steep hillsides.

Rather than comprimise, pick the main use for the tripod - likely the camcorder - and get a head that suits it.
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments and advice! You've made a good point. In most of my situations, I would be pretty much finding a good vantage point and then shooting from there. I do plan on taking the tripod with me on family hikes, but, for the most part, these are usually fairly moderate day hikes that don't involve an enormous amount of elevation gain...and they usually don't exceed 8 miles round trip. So I'm going to pick a legset that's a little heavier than the ones I've been looking at(probably one of the 3021 models). Thanks for pointing it out to me.

You're right--I'll probably designate the primary use for the tripod as for family videotaping, since that's what I'm doing mostly right now(that should shift some as I get more use with my A1). Are you or anyone here familiar with Bogen's heads for video? I've looked at their array of micro/mini fluid heads, pan/tilt heads with fluid cartridges, and a 3 way head with teflon pads for smooth panning motion...my Sony mini dv camcorder is small and light...not one of those professional or prosumer models....would one of these be more appropriate for my camcorder?

Thanks again, Bill! I appreciate your common sense approach!
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:29 PM   #6

Hi,

Well, I just placed my order with B&H for the Bogen 3021BPro legset and the 3130 micro fluid head with q/r. I checked around quite a few of the more popular websites, and, despite a couple of sites that had very slightly lower price points, B&H was ultimately the cheapest with their very reasonable shipping rates(Man, some sites low-ball their prices...then jack it way up with their exorbitant shipping! :evil: ).

Thanks again to sjms and Bill for kindly offering up their wisdom and knowledge and just plain common sense!

I took their advvice and bought the best legset and head that my stretched budget would allow...and, since I'll be using the tripod for videotaping primarily, I decided on the fluid head...and the 3021BPro legs will allow me to someday upgrade to the MDeVe center column--pretty cool item!

Thanks again! Take care....
Old Mar 28, 2004, 7:16 AM   #7

If you ever feel that you spent to much on that, watch garage sales (or ask someone in your family to watch) for tripods that are selling cheap, less than $10. Buy it, try it out, and you will never regret the money you spent. Esp when you look up the current price for that tripod - likely $50-100. You might even be able to use it as a light duty light stand.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote