Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Benbo vs Uni-Loc ??

Hi all -

I've just got my tripod out of the cupboard after a few years and its broken so I am looking to replace it (it's only a cheap one and had lots of use out of it). I like the look of the Benbo range either a Benbo 1 or 2 or a trekker 2 for the versaltility they give but have heard there is a problem with "Benbo drift" where there is movement after you've set the tripod in certain situations, so after some more research I've read that the Uni-Loc tripods are just as good as Benbo but don't have the drift problem - therefore anyone got any experience with using either of the brands? the one that seems comparable to the benbo 1 is the Uni-Loc Major 1220 System...

But these seem to be majorly designed for nature so are they any good in the studio as the versatility would be useful for macro use etc...Am I best getting this type of tripod for combined studio and out doors or get a dedicated one for studio use and another for nature? Ideally I want to just spend out on one tripod and get something decent...is it a good idea to buy secondhand if in good condition?

Any advice or experiences would be greatly received...and also any recommendations of other tripods/heads...

Using a 10D 28-105 and 75-200 could I use the battery grip as well or too heavy?

Cheers
sick little monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2004, 7:26 PM   #2

I just got the Manfrotto 3221wn tripod , and the Manfrotto 322rc grip action ball head, Have used them about 2 weeks all I can say about them is Excellant, the Quality top notch.. usabillity awsome.. I have used it on locations and in the studio with excellant results... From shooting macro shots of flowers at about 4 inches off the ground to 70 inches over a fence... I haven't found a situation the combo will not remedy for me... The Ball head will go from portrait to landscape Angles in a flip of the the lever...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 5:02 AM   #3

Cheers...is it a standard tripod or a benbo type?...
sick little monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:43 PM   #4

Standard...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Did you ever make a decision?
Itzmeagain is offline   Reply With Quote