Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Gitzo?

i was just looking on the Gitzo website....and iwas wondering....how much do these normally go for? (didn't say there :-\ )

anyone know of a tripod (doesn't really matter wat company) that will go really low to the ground (within 6-12 inches would be best)
and isn't really too expensive....and if possible not too heavy....

Dale... if you wander over here....can you tell me wat model your gitzo is and how much it was
thanks
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:47 PM   #2

Bogen/Manfrotto 3021B PRO @ $146.00 w/o head has a horizonal position for the center column plus it will mount upside down allowing you to put your camera in any position.
Another is a Benbo Trecker, will set up on uneven ground even on steps! It comes with a small ball head. I think it still runs arround $179.00, I don't think it is rated for more than five pounds so if you ever invision long lenses this would become a consideration.
There are many options for tripods out there, I mention these two because I own them. Perhaps some of the others here will put in a word about their equipment.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:24 PM   #3

Bogen/Manfrotto and Gizto both make good tripods. I know some who like Benbo and others who don't.

Gitzo is top of the line stuff. They can run from kinda expensive to run away screaming expensive.

Many of their tripod can get 6-12 inches off the ground. The key is to get one that you can use without having a center column. The center column gives you hight but adds instability. Avoid them if you can.

I had a smaller Bogen one that I like but it was too low. I could see over reeds, but the camera/tripod couldn't. Just when I convinved myself I would get a new one I bumped into exactly what I wanted for sale used (Gizto 1348). I didn't want to pay full price (over $600) and I didn't. I've been extremely happy with it but I probably wouldn't have gotten it new 'cause of the price.

Note that that price is so high because the tripod is not metal, its carbon fiber. That makes it very light, rigid, and expensive. You can get metal tripods for much less that are not unreasonably heavy. If you aren't going to hike for miles with it, the extra weight difference is probably not worth it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 9:46 PM   #4

well.....i am thinking.....i have a halfdecent tripod now (or so i think lol)
my grandfather gave it to me.....it gets to about as tall as me....but...it doesn't go any lower than 2 feet.....which makes it a little tough for close ups......unless i put them on a table or something....

i don't really need anything too light.....i'm young....i think i can handle something a little heavier than most would like...it would get annoying.....but not enough to spend 300 dollars more...lol

thanks for posting
i'd like to know why gitzo doesn't show any prices

oh yeah....i just looked at my tripod and reallized...i can turn the center pole upside down........which would mean i'd be taking pictures upside down......but that i can always fix on the computer...or even after i print it!
hmm

thanks guys
i'll have to test it out like this.....if i find problems i'll look into that bogen/manfrotto.....doesn't seem to be TOO expensive
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5

well, i threw my camera on the newly found out upside down tripod....and i am happier than you can imagine.....not only does it go all the way to the ground.....but the camera flips the screen for me!!! amazing! technology...who knew?

i think i'm good with this one for now

thanks again for blowing time of your day posting in my thread
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:50 PM   #6

Glad its working for you vitto... for the record the bogen 3221wn is $168 through B&H... Good luck..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:47 AM   #7

Not that you really need this info any more, but I'll throw it out anyways.

A very easy place to look at gitzo prices is:
http://www.kirkphoto.com/tripods.html

The reason that you don't see the prices at Gitzo's home page is that stores sell them a different prices, so their price might be higher than you can actually get it at.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 1:55 PM   #8

thanks eric

i might check back here in the future to buy a better tripod

i just don't NEED one enough to spend the money on it