Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 5, 2004, 2:05 PM   #1

back in march i ordered a Really Right Stuff ball head. well it will finally ship tomorrow 8/06 to me. i'll be giving it a full workup after giving it a full workout. for those who are familiar with RRS products this is supposedly the killer head assy. it better be at $400+. not for the faint of heart but for those who appreciate and want a piece of precision to go along with you precision camera. i will report on the new toy next week.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:58 PM   #2

it arrives tomorrow
Old Aug 11, 2004, 7:28 PM   #3

I just read a review posted on another site. He included several pictures of it. Looks like a darn nice head! Did you get the quick lever clamp?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:28 PM   #4

i just pulled it out of the box and mounted it to my M3021pro. Darned nice doesn't quit describe it. after i play a little i'll spew about it.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:27 AM   #5

Can you believe the whining about the price of it on the other board? Sheesh. They're carrying on as if it is a required purchase that they can't afford instead of an optional item.

At the moment, I don't have a need to replace my Aractech head but that doesn't stop me from appreciating this head (and even WANTING one :lol. I look forward to your comments after using it awhile. (Is this your first ballhead or is it replacing one?)

I just recently received a Mongoose 232 from www.birdsasart.com ... haven't had the time to do much with it other than mount my lenses and test it out, but I am most impressed.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 10:54 AM   #6

we hang a freds too do we?

mostly from people that wish they really could get it but just can't psychologically make that jump. but they will drop $4.5k on a camera body that in 2 years has a high loss factor as far as price. a good universal "accessory" holds its value. though i really don't call legs and heads accessories.

ah!!! the relevence of things:angry:

i have owned a arca-swiss b1(sold), a acratech ultimate(sold), and currently own a markins M10 and now the RRS BH-55

Old Aug 12, 2004, 11:41 AM   #7

I'd be interested in knowing why you got rid of your Acratech Ultimate. What didn't you like about it?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:29 PM   #8

from a design stand point it just didn't work for me. constructionwise it is a thing of beauty.

by setting the"socket" for the ball at a 45 deg angle it limited some movement on the ball which required me to leave the base rotation loose so i could rotate the socket around out of the way of the of the stalk and clamp assy

you see in the image you have a 180 deg up down movement but it is restricted by the top of the socket clamp without rotating it at least 90 degof the base to point up. with the AS Markins RRS horizontal clamp type you have a greater freedom of movement in that hemisphere without touching the base rotation though to reach completely perpendicular requires you to drop into a notch. also it takes less clamp force/effort on a AS RRS Markins to lock up a heaver camera load then with the Acratech (greater potential for creep).

personally there were a few too many sharp 90 deg edges. i felt that these could have been knocked down or rounded for asmoother tactile feel.

now remember this is just one persons view and of course there are subtle price differences.

Acra-$279

Markins- $330

AS B1- $399

RRS w/screw type QR- $415

RRS w/QCQR clamp- $455

Old Aug 12, 2004, 3:49 PM   #9

Yes, I have the Acratech and am familiar with the limitations you mentioned regarding positioning. Normally it isn't a major issue and a quick movement of the tripod solves it most of the time for me. While I haven't noticed the force required to clamp it properly, I also haven't used any of the other ballheads of quality so I have nothing to compare it to. Regarding the price differences, there are difference in prices between a Canon L lens and a Tamron Di too .

Thanks for your input. It's been interesting!
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:24 PM   #10

realize that i am hanging a 1Ds and a L 70-200 2.8 on it too sometimes with a 1.4x multiplier and larger products on there.