Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:50 AM   #1

hi, i'mi'm my final year of universtity studying product design, for my major project and i have choosen to design in the area of 'camera stabilization' (as this is hopefully going to also be my choosen field of work when i finish).....

anyway it would be a great great great help if anyone could answer these questions for me.

What tripods do you use?? (Especially outdoors)

Do you ever find that there is a problem with them??(No matter how small or even in the worst case scenario)

Do you ever find you don't have enough floor area to set up a tripod where you'd like??

Also are there any other problems that you've ever encountered with any of your kit on any occasion, no matter how extreme?

And there are any other comments about tripods or any photographic exuipment you have ever had common problems with??

Thank you for taking your time to help me with these, no matter how brief your answers may seem it's a great help.......cheers

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
terza-rima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:01 PM   #2

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
What tripods do you use?? (Especially outdoors)

Manfrotto 055 ( same as Bogen ???)

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
Do you ever find that there is a problem with them??(No matter how small or even in the worst case scenario)
well , not really with my needs

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
Do you ever find you don't have enough floor area to set up a tripod where you'd like??
Yes, in those cases, I use a monopod (Bogen / Manfrotto 3245)

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
Also are there any other problems that you've ever encountered with any of your kit on any occasion, no matter how extreme?
Hummm... don't remember:?
May be : my tripod doesn't have an integrated level bulb (some comes with one)

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
And there are any other comments about tripods or any photographic exuipment you have ever had common problems with??
I don't know

And, good luck for your project :|

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:22 PM   #3

cheers bud.....you wont be able to do long exposures with a mono pod though right???

if not...

would it be real helpfull if you could gain the stability of a tripod but only take up the floor space of a mono pod?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:01 PM   #4

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
cheers bud.....you wont be able to do long exposures with a mono pod though right???
Right, but it helps alot compare to nothing (hand held). I like it for crownded places, and with long zoom.

terza-rima wrote:
Quote:
if not...

would it be real helpfull if you could gain the stability of a tripod but only take up the floor space of a mono pod?
Certainly, but depends at which scale we are talking about. A stabilized lens/CCD may help at 1 sec range speed foe example, but at at 5 sec and plus, is there a solution? :?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:31 PM   #5

Bogen 3021BPRO with a 322RC2 head

No problem other than this tripod is a bit heavy. I boutght an off brandpadded shoulder carry strap and sturdy velco strapto hold the legs together and clip onto.Lever releases for the legs can be cumbersome at times, mainly getting it leveled out. At times, it's easier to level the head than the tripod.

Haven't used the tri where it's to crowded. Some places prohibit tripods for this reason, they can be hazardous. I have and use a Bogen 680B monopod often. This will work in otherwise crowded areas but like you mentioned, lateral stability can be an issue. Not many folks do this but a Tripod can be used as a Duopod, that is, one leg not extended so there are two legs vs one or three. Now lateral is in control but depth movement maybe a problem. Slso, the strap I mentioned for carrying the tripod can be used on the monopod also, not only for carrying. With the strap connected to the top ring and an added lower ring, the strap can be wrapped over my shoulder and use forward pressure on the monopod. This locks the monopod stability very well. Lateral may still be a problem but you can try to lean on something also. I've also tried bracing the monopod between my legs, kind of wedged between ankle and opposite knoee to do the same....

In getting used to handling the tripod with camera, external flash, bracket, cord, tripod head all hooked up, I didn't realize how relatively easy some of the components can loosten up without your knowing it. Much care needsto be taken when moving all this gear around.....

The most specific problem with the above scenario is with the external flash components. I thought I had everything tight and next thing you know, the lockdown nuts are loose....surprise, surprise.....must be careful. The manufacturer even recommends NOT tightening too much for better performance. I lean more toward careful carry of the whole thing vs. concern over tightning components. Just so nothing falls off and hits the ground.....
Also, Iread where another forum reader swears by the Bushhawk. never used one but they seem effective....looks interesting....http://www.bushhawk.com/

Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:49 AM   #6

^^^ thats brilliant, i'm really interested in the duopod technique you use, there could be a real product in that idea....that link is also a great help...thanks alot
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:47 PM   #7

ques #1

i have 2

1-manfrotto 3021pro w/RRS BH-55 Ball Head
2-gitzo 2228 explorer w/markins m10 Ball Head

ques #2

each tripod has it own set of nuances and each carries something that i the user must adapt to.

ques #3

i have 2 differnt styles for just this reason. they are both articulated to a certain extent but the gitzo is the true acrobat.

ques #4

having chosen my head and leg sets fairly carefully i have trided to reduce these occurances.

ques #5

when dealing with design and use of a tripod. the head is generally accepted as part of the kit but is, on better assemblies, a seperate choice and purchase. the head must integrate and work well with the legs. so i believe that your quest for information about tripods should include the head as a subject too. and there are 2 basic designs- Ball and Pan & tilt. there are quite a few designs out there and lots of opinions too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote