Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:48 AM   #1

Default head for monopod

what do you suggest?...i'm not looking for anything really sturdy or expensive...i want something so i can move my camera in certain angles...right now the monopod i use only can take shots parallel to the ground
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:31 PM   #2

i don't know what your using for a tripod head but reference this simple qr setup. i use a arca swiss ball head on mine and on my mono pod this is the setup i use. goes on and off quick. and matches all my other gear qr plates.

www.reallyrightstuff.com

look for -All About Monopods or Handy Project Tips.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:52 PM   #3

All you need on a monopod is a "head" that tilts up/down (shooting in landscape mode): I found one for about $15 in a local store. It screws into a Bogen/Manfroto hex quick release system so I can use the same qr plates on everything. Same issue sjms noted - a quick release system is a good idea.

A ball head will be better if you want to be able to shoot in portrait mode, though it will cost more. A three axis or panning head would be just plain silly on a monopod.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:10 AM   #4

how bout some brand names?...my equipment is really heavy...i need it to within my load...a 15 head probably won't do....right?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:06 AM   #5

first there are 2 positions you are going to assume:
portrait
landscape
with a monopod and expect it to give some level of stabilization.
putting a small ball on a tripod with a 200 or 300 2.8 will be a waste of time. you'll be cranking down on it to stop slippage unless you want to put out some major coin. the set up i referenced you to is cheap and will hold up. i used it regularly with my F5 and a 70-210 2.8

the pogo stick i use is no longer available. its an old tiltall monopod.

a leg like a manfrotto/bogen 3018 is about $53
3232 swivel tilt is $13
Kirk D100 arca swiis plate $55
AS plate $55-$80

if you really feel you gotta have a good ball head there are 2 that i can suggest 1- arca-swiss B1 $330 2-acratech $280

i'm sort of stuck on the AS type plates. they are custom fit to each camera body type. no gaps. no cork. perfect fit.

other types of qr plates under loads can loosen and spin on the camera body. no chance with these.

i still suggest the simple setup in the RRS site.

remember the simple stuff usually works best.
Old Oct 14, 2002, 11:26 PM   #6

I use the manfrotto 334 automatic monopod ( I like the quick drop/adjust height feature)
I tried the Ball head grip action 222 ( US code 3265) b/c I like to have quick locking, but it"s deported too much away when I tilt

( I still looking for a good reason to get it! )

I end up with the simplest 234RC ( US code 3229) ( tilt head with rectangular quick release plate ):

I use it mostly to tilt between portrait/landscape position, and it's rare that I have to change the tilt direction ( to up and down) forth and back.

I already have the ballhead 168 ( US code 3055), but it's simply too bulky on the monopod.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:21 PM   #7

Yup, I like manfrotto 234RC too, cost me 33 bucks, and it fits just right on my velbon up-40 monopod.

Cheers,
gared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:51 AM   #8

:?: sjms :?:

Do you know if there is any small ball head with kind of quick release ( I mean to losen, not the quick release plate) ?
That would be the ideal for me for my 1pod use.
.. something with a squeeze lever , like in the 222 style , but not too high (long)
Old Oct 27, 2002, 11:52 AM   #9

sorry missed this one KCan. i know of no one that makes anything like that particular device. maybe they will with the advent of the lighter cameras. the 222 serves also a a grip to be held onto at all times sort of like a postol grip. i don't think i'd trust it with my f5 and a 70-210 2.8 though. the combined weight would probably cause a bit of slippage on the balls part. most larger lenses have built in rings that allow 360 rotation w/o the ball assy to be used. that is why size was not an issue with that. as long as it is within a reasonable vertical axis of the monopod ther is no real issue of slippage.

on my setup i just twist knob move 90 deg and lock with my 7Hi

on my bigger lenses its the ring that does the job.
Old Nov 1, 2002, 10:19 PM   #10

Thanks sjms,
I think I will get a small ballhead just the combination D7i/monopod