Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:06 AM   #1

I'm looking for opinions from users of the SLIK U212 tripod. I don't really need comparisons with others because I already own a premium tripod, but am considering the SLIK and would like any user critique out there. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:47 PM   #2

I have had a SLIK u212 for close to 20 years. It has been a great performer for me. Recently, though, the plastic cracked that holds the head on. I am looking for a replacement head if you know where I can get one.

Dan Howell
Old Oct 29, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

I own the Slik 88M tripod, the predecessor of the U212 that was produced for the European market. I bought the 88M about 30 years, and it has given me first-rate service. However, about 4 months ago, the plastic locking collar that clamps the head cracked. I called B&H Photo, which referred me to THK Photo Products, the distributor for Slik tripods and related replacement parts. Here is the link to their web site: www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-01.html
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4

Gents,
I have an old Slik 88M that was given to me. Problem is that two of the leg clamps are broken. Doesn't look like a user-replaceable part. The collar and the rest is in good shape. The whole leg would have to be replaced. I'd be happy to ship the part or the whole thing if you'd like it. Just pay the shipping. Or, if you've decided to upgrade, ship me yours. I'll pay for the shipping.

Steve Kless
ratba_tardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:18 PM   #5

I've got an old U212 Deluxe and had two of the leg clamps crack last week. I emailed [email protected] to ask about parts and got a reply within a few hours with a parts diagram attached and a phone number to call once I figured out which part I needed.

I don't know how 88M is set up, but on the U212 you just push the pin out that holds the clamp on and go from there. The only tools I needed were a small screwdriver with which to push the pin out and a small hammer to tap it back in. Just be careful when pulling out the lower section of the leg as the catch to keep the leg in is spring loaded.
peterjbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:43 PM   #6

Peter,
Thanks for the info. I can't find any pins on the 88M. But it's worth an email.

Steve
ratba_tardly is offline   Reply With Quote