Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

This might sound like a stupid question but is it necessary to buy a head for a monopod? I'm thinking of buying a Bogen 681 monopod for everyday outdoor shots and shots I can take on hikes but I don't know if Bogen 3229 head is required equipment. I have a heavy duty Paragon Plus tripod I use indoors and I know it wouldn't operate without its head but it seems like a monopod would be different because you can tilt the stalk for vertical movement - or would this cause too much instability? Like I said this is a stupid question. Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sam
spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:45 PM   #2

It is not required to have a head onthe 681monopod as you can simply mount the camera directly. There is an advantage to having the 3229 head, particularly if you use a quick release plate. The 3229 is designed to swivel, so it will allow you to get vertical as well as horizontal shots with a simple twist of a knob. Tilting the monopod 90 degrees to get a vertical shot isn't the easiest thing to do without bracing it against something, I would think.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:05 PM   #3

A monopod is least effective when used as a virtical stand (its like making a pencil balance on its point).

A more effective technique is to form a psuedo tripod using your own body-legs as two the tripod points and the monopod as the third. This approach requires the monopod to be positioned at an angle to the virtical (either ahead of you or with the monopod leg behind you-between your feet) in either case, to bring the camera to a horizontal plane will require that you have some articulating head. The BM 3229 pan-tilt head is sufficient for this purpose.

I personally use the BM 3229 head on a BM 3001 monopod. This is a resonably priced light weight setup that works quite well.

(I also use the BM QRP RC2 system on all of my cameras and supports)
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:34 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply guys. Ohenry, I forgot about the problem imposed if I wanted to take portrait shots - that and a quick release makes the $30 well worth it. Jawz, I've never used a monopod before so your tip is a big help. Is there a general rule as for length of exposure when using a monopod? - 2 sec max rule, ect.

Sam
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Jawz, I've never used a monopod before so your tip is a big help. Is there a general rule as for length of exposure when using a monopod? - 2 sec max rule, ect.
I don't know of any 'general rule' other than a given person can probably get one to two stops longer exposure using a monopod over hand held.

I've done up to 1.6 sec monopod exposures with my Minolta A1 with anti-shake on. But I am not very steady on my feet [neurapathy] so your milage may [will] vary, cuz I've seen some examples of hand held shots with the A1/A2 as long [or longer] by some folks.

By the way, I find that a monopod is a lousy platform for panning shots.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:15 PM   #6

After looking at some other Bogen Tripods I think I'm going to go with the 714B, 714SHB, or 724B tripod with ball head. They are a bit heavier than the 681 monopod but I think they will provide more stability and allow me more options. Thanks for the replies.

Sam