Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:45 AM   #1

I've been wandering about the Tripod section as I have find the need for one. I've read a lot have recomend having a release cable to work with tripod to greatly minimize or eliminate camera shake. My problem is, where I live, finding the right cable realease for my cameras is not exactly an easy feat. Nor am I technically skilled to create my own. Ordering through the net is not exactly my cup of tea yet. I still like to be able to hold the product and check it personally (a bit old school if you allow) :G. Anyway, does the timed release feature of the camera provide a good alternative to release cables?
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 1:10 PM   #2

A remote shutter release is benficial if you are shooting a subject that can move, such as a bird, and you want to catch just the right moment to take the shot. If you are shooting still life then using the camera's built-in timed release is an excellet way to ensure minimum camera vibration. Many cameras offer an optional short duration (2 sec., e.g.) timed release for this purpose.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 2:47 PM   #3

On some cameras you have to enable the mirror lockup
to get the shorter time, but it is worth it, my 10d
does this.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

yes timer release is the alternate to a release cable assy. the next question is to what camera might we be trying to stick this cable into. there is no universal cable for these electronic wonders. depending on the make/model you may not have that option available. if one is available for your camera the price range will probably be $30-$50
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

For my 10d the electronic release was $60 or so, and
the interval timer is ~$140, adds quite a bit of extras,
and for the money is well worth it. I don't have, but I
would like to when the money is available.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:51 AM   #6

You have not stated which camera you need a release for and as hedwards said two options for the 10D are the RS-80N3 remote switch(80$cdn), or the TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller(190$cdn).

The 20D adds the option of being taken over and controlled via USB 2.0 by a pc/laptop using the Canon Capture Professional program. I guess only useful if you are carrying an operating laptop in the field:?. But I have heard(not actually seen) that it is possible to somehow use a palm to do this.

Nikon of course,has similar options available.

If you are shooting with a DSLR, for pods the bogen/manfrotto 3021/055c (same pod, different countries)seems to be a fairly popular choice.
This one is probably overkillfor a point&shoot type camera, and one of the lighter all-in-one(head and legs all in one package)pods like a Velbon would probable work out very well for these.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:37 PM   #7

Sorry to disappoint you guys, I'm thinking more of using timed-release generally as a substitute for cable-release...not exactly about buying one. My camera's are an old Canon 500N (film SLR, the one with the big body)and a digital Canon A70. And I'mpretty much sure that there are no universal cable release that I can use for these 2. Pictures I take are mostly still-life and macros, panoramic scenes, and point-and-shoot photos of friends and events. Not much fast actions involve. So the tripod is important but the cable-release is... I guess you'll agree with me if I say "a luxury I don't necessarily need".

Thanks for the input guys.
...ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:47 PM   #8

Why yes! This method works very well, you just don't have control over the exact time the shutter will trip. For many kinds of photos this is not an issue!

...ben wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking more of using timed-release generally as a substitute for cable-release...
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 8:04 AM   #9

That is correct
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote