Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 21, 2005, 10:05 PM   #11

no it seems like a tripod that i can carry a distance that cost $150 is and weighs 3 lbs lighter and was said before and shown to substantially more versatile might work better in the long run but as i said before its a learning curve but i have a feeling you'll find youmight notuse it as much as i do in the situations that i do. so good luck with it. itsgoing to be goodexercise.

its a learning curve.:lol:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:19 PM   #12

If it costs $500 it must be good, right? For that much money it had better be!:lol: I don't buy tripods with the idea of how much I can resell them for and go for what will work for me and my budget.

I purchased the Dynatran carbon fiber from Amvona and love it. It is light (at 6' 3" and 245lbs I don't worry about carrying 2 extra pounds) and fits my needs to a 'T'.

If it falls apart tomorrow will I have lost much? Nope. It it lasts me several years will I have gained anything? Yep. $400.:lol:

With that all said I would not shy away from the more expensive cf tripods, if they are truly worth it.
Sleeping Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 7:51 PM   #13

i repeat- its a learning curve. as you use them more you will learn. but your right it was only some money you spent. as you spend more time using them as i have you learn. the song will not remain the same though:G
Old Apr 28, 2005, 8:38 PM   #14

sjms wrote:
Quote:
i repeat- its a learning curve. as you use them more you will learn. but your right it was only some money you spent. as you spend more time using them as i have you learn. the song will not remain the same though:G
Sounds like you've been burned with the wrong choice of tripod at least once or twice and I can see where it might be a learning curve for you. I have three tripods that are used for different types of shooting and have learned through my exp that a sturdy platform is what you need. Sometimes you need light and easy to move, sometimes you need heavier and sometimes you wish you had a nice wooden tripod.
:lol: Again, it depends on what I'm shooting as to what tripod I use and won't knock any brand until I've tried it myself. I had never heard of Dynatran until Ebay and thought I'd give them a try. So far so good. Just my $1.50.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:21 AM   #15

your assumptions are incorrect. i actually still have my manfrotto tripod from long ago (over 15 years now) still doing duty. my even oldervelbon (25+ years old) is used by my 9yr old daughter for her shooting. she wants my mine. see even an educated 9 year old understands the differences.

in 28 years to go through a total of 4 tripods and still have 3 of the originals still ain't bad for getting "burned". i do shoot with 2 bodies too.

enjoy the workout.
Old May 12, 2005, 10:11 PM   #16

sjms wrote:
Quote:
your assumptions are incorrect. i actually still have my manfrotto tripod from long ago (over 15 years now) still doing duty. my even older velbon (25+ years old) is used by my 9yr old daughter for her shooting. she wants my mine. see even an educated 9 year old understands the differences.

in 28 years to go through a total of 4 tripods and still have 3 of the originals still ain't bad for getting "burned". i do shoot with 2 bodies too.

enjoy the workout.
I guess I'm too subtle for some folks.:-) It looks like we both assume too much, eh? What works for one might not work for another, just as some shoot Canon and others Nikon.

All anyone needs is a good, reliable, solid platform to shoot from...but that's another learning curve.
Old May 13, 2005, 10:53 PM   #17

yourthe weight lifter. me i'mthe traveller.enjoy the 2-3 extra lbs. i'll be packing my substantially lighter, stiffer,and more compact one for a little 30 day R&R in NZ shortly. ah! NZ in the winter. and it doesn't have to go oversize either:lol:
Old May 31, 2005, 6:59 PM   #18

just came on here doing some research. Seems everyone has their own preference. I was just looking for some real feedback, I amVERY skeptical of all that other crap. Iwas looking at member reviews and they all have like1 or 2 comments or purchases, whatever it means, im not a huge ebayer myself. like sjms said anyone can spend a few minutes building up their own company.

I resently lost the head attacher thing for my lightweight tripod:sad:, I was using one from school that is very similar to the dynatran 3 way, but it had 2 levels which i can not find from them.It was a heavy tripod but for what i was doing i felt confident that i could leave it set up and walk away with out worrying of it falling over. I fell inlove with it. so i am looking for something similar.

:|

the dynatran has awsome prices but... are they really that good? I was looking at the AT6308, and the AT838.. i like the hexogonal head but i dont like the bubble level.Anybody have these? any feedback?

Thanks,

Lindsay

disaster306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:01 PM   #19

I just received mine last week an 828 ball grip. For the money I'm pretty impressed and happy with it.It is heavy, I wouldn't want to go hiking with it. But it won't blow over. Solid construction, very adjustable.It took me awhile to get one because I feel their shiping charge ($24) is unreasonable and so I refused to bid over $20..Finally got one for that and I love it.They have a new auction every couple hours so if youre not in a hurry, wait for the price your willing to pay.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:33 PM   #20

I purchased a photo digital video Tungsten light kit by Dynasphos (their brand) and an Umbrella Soft box from this company in July 2005 on eBay. Along with this order, I paid an additional $15 for rush shipping so that my order would be shipped within 24 hours. After 48 hours from the order time, I called to get my tracking number. The customer service person told me that the light kit was backordered and that they did not know when they would get more light kits in and that I would just have to wait. 3 weeks had finally gone by without correspondence from Amvona.com. I called the company and the lady that answered the phone said, "I don't know why they have not shipped your product, this is very strange. I will personally make sure that the products are shipped tomorrow." I had put in a negative rating on eBay because of this problem. I received a phone call from "Matthew - General Manager" saying that he understood that I put in a negative rating on eBay. He told me that unless I removed the rating, I would not receive the product. I have not removed the rating and he has now put a stop shipment order in with FedEx and will not ship the product to me. Don't ever do business with a company that is as dishonest as Amvona.com.
dstover is offline   Reply With Quote