Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:33 PM   #41

I just got my AT-858B tripod legs. Total cost $47 shipped ($29 bid, $18 shipping). It's certainly plenty good for the price. Very comparable to the Manfrotto 3021N legs, which list for $200 and can be gotten for around $125 shipped online. The Dynatran 858 is clearly a knock-off of the Manfrotto 3021N.

My take is, the Manfrotto 3021 is maybe 10-20% better, certainly the finish is better, but functionally, they are the same, except the Manfrotto leg locks are a bit smoother. Not worth 2 and a half times the price IMHO.

I can't speak for the functionality of the heads, because I haven't received my Ball-heads yet (I ordered them separately and later). But the legs are fine, and certainly a bargain at less than $50 ebay price.

I should add, these are NOT heavy as lead, as one of the prior posters stated. They weigh what a good aluminum tripod weighs, and in fact just about the same as the Manfrotto 3021N. If you want lighter, they also make carbon fiber leg-sets, for more money, of course. I didn't need the lighter one.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 7:40 AM   #42

tkrivanek wrote:
Quote:
Hi, new here,

Stopped by to research the Dynatran brand and stumbled on your thread. After reading all of your posts I decided to look Amvona.com up at the Better business Bureau web site http://www.bbb.org. I always do this when a company gets so many bad reviews. Their'sis the worst I have ever seen.

<snip>

I'm not defending Amvona, but the BBB is an F-ING JOKE!! They're VERY quick to report complaints about non-members, but they give their due-paying, plaque displaying members an opportunity to respond before reporting reporting negative complaints...and a business can tell them any lie they want and receive a "satisfactory" rating. Alla businessis requiredto do is paytheir dues on time to be a BBB member...and unfortunately it gives consumers a false sense of security when they see that all-important "BBB Member"plaque on the door.

We lost over $20Kinvesting inafitness equipmentcompanythat had a satisfactory rating with the Central California BBB. Only laterdid we discover that (at that very same time) the company was under criminal investigation and about to be closed down by the California Attorney General's Office. The BBB also falsely reported that the company had been in business for 20 years when in fact they had only just started operations!!Once it became obvious thatthis companyrippedus off, I complained to the BBB. During my conversations with BBB representatives, I found that they knew thatthis companywas not in business for 20 years, and that they were violating Federal Trade regulations and defrauding customers all across the country. They also knew that the Attorney Generals Office ofCalifornia had a case against the company. Still, knowing all of this, the BBB reported no complaints and showedthe companyin good standing. I checked the BBB's Report for this company long afterMY many complaints and they still showedthe companyin good standing with no complaints!

This went on until the AG's office inCalifornia shut them down in 2001. As soon as the company was shut down and could NOT pay thier dues, the BBB cancelled their membership and FINALLY reported them as unsatisfactory. The BBB is paid by their clients to tell the public what the client wants them to tell the public.

Sorry for the off-topic rant...but it makes my blood boil when I see someone place so much faith in what the BBB has to say!!

Point-N-Shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:47 AM   #43

I recently got an eBay deal on the Amvona AT-877 tripod with the versatile off-set ball head. Less than $40 shippied and easily worth 3 times the price. One of the bubble levels was dry but their prompt service department mailed out a couple of free replacements that were delivered within the week. My tripod has all the professional features but is not really professional quality - it's just a good consumer product for a great price.

I have used Bogen, Manfrotto, Gitzo and a huge American made High-Boy, and despite their reputations as "professional" grade products, they all have their own weaknesses, defects and flaws that become increasingly evident over years of transport and (ab)use.

The Amvona products are intended to offer non-pro photographers capabilities that they otherwise could never afford. Read their specifications carefully, review the completed listings on eBay to determeine the going rate, bid accordingly and you can actually get more than you're paying for. In spite of all the "profesional" hype, figure their prices to be lower but the quality to approach comparable Slik products.

One word of warning: I'm pretty sure that most of their user reviews are bogus. I wrote and submitted an honest and quite positive review of my tripod and the commendable service - during the submitting process, all my comments vanished and the form that was sent had its values reset to a default perfect score. So you can't even believe me! -Ian
::?:
Hillerud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:39 PM   #44

i have several amvona products. surely not the best but as stated, i have no problem with anything i've gotten from them.. my 858 legs and 3 way head get a workout every weekend, no probs..
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:02 AM   #45

I have purchase several product from Amvona. Some Good.
Some not so good. My most recent experience was on ebay. I purchased several backdrops including a popup cromakey. It had crush marks from being folded. I could not get the cruh mars to go away.
I called amvona and they replaced it. The replacement had the same problems. I left a negative feed back on ebay. Within 12 hours I was banned form bidding on any amvona products. Now mind you I have made purchases before from amvona on ebay and left positive responses. Guess I'll be shopping somewhere else.

zawackij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2007, 4:08 PM   #46

I BOUGHT THE BALLGRIP....EEEK...SOLD IT BACK ON EBAY RIGHT AWAY..

FOR MORE EVEN.LOL:|

GOT THE HORIZONTAL MANFROTTO NOW
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 9:07 AM   #47

THEIR GRIP BALL HEAD SUCKS.....
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:14 AM   #48

I'm new to this and i'm looking for my first mono- or tripod. Why do you say that the pistol grip ball head is not the way to go. It appears that it would be a very quick and efficient.
jonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 12:41 PM   #49

The Pistol Grip ball head is probably more susceptible to loose manufacturing tolerances than a plain ball head or a pan/tilt head, because it is a more complex mechanism.

I can vouch for the ATH-H96 and ATH-H93 ball heads (along with the AT-858B Leg set) as being very good for the relatively low prices that they can be gotten on ebay).

The H93 head can be had for under $20+ shipping, the H96 head for under $50 plus shipping. The H93 uses a QR plate that is compatible with the one on the Calumet small pan/tilt head, so you can buy more plates for under $10 at any Calumet Photo store. The QR plates for the H96 (and H95) heads are harder to find, but I managed to get several from an ebay seller for under $10 each.

What is most interesting is that they seem to have just come out with a much higher end ball head line (ATH-A03 and ATH-A04) that look to be comparable to Arca Swiss and Kirk, with separate friction control and much higher load capacity, but may be quite a bit less costly (If I can find one of these for under $125 I might try one).
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:28 PM   #50

I bought the AT 6703S with the pistol grip ball head and am completely satisfied with the entire transaction. The center column comes out and works as a telescoping monopod, so if I need to travel, I'll take that. The ball grip is very sturdy and holds my Pentax K100D, Sigma 50-500 (the "Bigma") and the 1.4x teleconverter with no problems. I can extend the center column and then tilt up so I can shoot the moon and the tripod is very stable, with no slipping on the ball head (we're talking close to 5 lbs of camera gear on this ball head).

The case is handy and the transaction was fine. I bought from them on the recommendation of a friend that has made multiple purchases from themwithout problems.

As for weight, I knew exactly what the system weighed before buying, so no surprises there. And, it weighs pretty much what all the "name" systems weigh. If you want something a little lighter, they also have carbon fiber legs.

All in all, I think they're a great bargain and would buy another if needed. However, I think this thing will outlast me.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote