Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:27 AM   #1

anyone out there have experience either with a Slik Sprint Pro or a Velbon 343E? if so what *don't* you like about them? I'm looking for a lightweight tripod to take hiking, leaning toward the Slik Sprint Pro at present, though I'd like to try it out in person first, and can't tell from their web page (http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-ss2.html) whether or not the legs tilt independently or all together, and whether the head included w/ the legs is removable or permanently attached.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:01 AM   #2

I have the Slik Sprint Pro GM and it has a removeable head(SBH-100). The legs tiltindependently and alsofold so you can shoot close to the ground.

I am looking for a quick release head to go with this, will make it so much easier to transition to the tripod.

pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:32 AM   #3

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
I have the Slik Sprint Pro GM and it has a removeable head(SBH-100). The legs tilt independently and also fold so you can shoot close to the ground.
pagerboy: would you mind posting some shots of where the legs hinge at the top? I'm wondering how they work, do they lock at certain angles or tilt freely or do you have to twist a knob to lock/unlock the legs?

also how does the center column work, do you remove it to get the minimum height of the camera above ground?

sorry for all the questions, but there don't seem to be any dealers in NH which carry this model & I want to have some confidence that I'll like this before I try to buy online.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4

The center column is in two pieces if you need to get close to the ground you just unscrew the half. For the legs they are just quick release tabs which work real easy, the legs also have tabs so that if you use it normally it will stand up and pull those locks you can move the legs all the way down.

This is for a lighter camera and not for a fully loaded SLR, I use it with my Canon S1 IS and a small MiniDV Camcorder and sometimes my point and shoot Konica 35mm.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5

I have the Manfrotto quick release head 323in that last picture. Here is with the center column removed anddoing the limbo:-)
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 12:02 PM   #6

I haven't figured out how to put more than one pic per post.

So here is the tripod extended with the picture of a 12" ruler on the side.

Hope this helps.

I went to http://www.henrys.com/to get the quick release head.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:56 PM   #7

spiffy! thanks.

So there are basically two locked positions for the legs, one being the "limbo" position, the other being the normal upright position? (or are there ones in between?)

if you never need the extra height of the center column, is there any disadvantage in just keeping it off permanently (& reducing the weight slightly)?
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:50 PM   #8

You can put the legs anywhere in between but not locked. The extension column can be left off but not much of a weight savings since its very light for being a hollow aluminum tube.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:55 PM   #9

Pagerboy,

Where did you buy your Slik Sprint Pro? I've been looking in shops around Toronto and haven't found it anywhere.

TIA,

Brian
CitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 7:54 AM   #10

I saw one in London Drugs earlier today, nice little unit.
rno189 is offline   Reply With Quote