Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 13, 2005, 3:02 PM   #1

Anyone know of any good tripods that are small? I'm basically looking for something that is around 30cm (1 to 2 ft) when folded, but will expand into say 1 meter (3 to 5 ft) when used.

In other words, I need a tripod that I can carry in a small bag but will be somewhat big enough to be decent. I don't expect it to expand into a full size tripod but at least a few feet off the ground.

The camera I'm using is a compact/SLR-like camera (Canon S1 IS) which is somewhat light so it doesn't have to be that strong or anything. Furthermore, my camera has a flip-out LCD so too low of a height isn't really a problem for composing pics (as long as it is somewhat high enough to be comfortable)...

Thanks!
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:31 PM   #2

Have a look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi line of tripods...

regards.....Santos
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:12 AM   #3

Sivaram Velauthapillai wrote:
Quote:
Anyone know of any good tripods that are small? I'm basically looking for something that is around 30cm (1 to 2 ft) when folded, but will expand into say 1 meter (3 to 5 ft) when used.

This is a Hakuba Branner S5; 35cm when closed; 106cm at full extension, 812 gms. I use it a lot when walking the mountains if I think I might need a tripod. I don't remember what it cost, but I'm sure it wasn't much.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:23 AM   #4
TC3

Wasn't the Hakuba range taken over by Velbon? Anyhow i got an S5 as well whenthey were discontinued...got it for $19 from a place in New York....brilliant tripod for that money and it has quick release head as well. Was very difficult looking for a tripod that was just over a foot in length folded but gave a good height with legs extended which also had strong legs....do a search and you might be lucky to find some new old stock somewhere

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 12:24 PM   #5

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Wasn't the Hakuba range taken over by Velbon? Anyhow i got an S5 as well when they were discontinued...got it for $19 from a place in New York....brilliant tripod for that money and it has quick release head as well.
I don't know the situation within the USA outside of the fact that the Hakuba/Velbon names are linked at their website; the Branner tripod series can be seen at:
http://www.hakubausa.com/csite/c_pro...p?cc=10&cs=120

I bought mine here in Japan, where Hakuba still seems to be an independent brand.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:37 AM   #6

I absolutely lovemy tripod and wouldn't trade it for any other although it is at the maximum specs you listed. 2' long collapsed. Just over 5' tall fully extended. Quick release mount. Sturdy aluminum construction with rubber feet which screw up to expose pointed metal tips for use in dirt. Legs use quick release clamps as opposed to screw sleeves for fast setup. The extendable crank-up top mount is nearly a foot long for easy and fine height adjustment. Total weight is 3.75 pounds.

This is actually a superb video tripod with totally fluid motion both vertically& horizontallyand it actually stops where you release it rather than returning slightly towards the direction from whence you came. I've yet to find another tripod at less than $500 which can match it's smooth fluid motion. No stupid leveling bubbles, (what is the display on the camera for anyway?). Cost was $48 Canadian. Took a look at my wife's insistence although I figured nothing at this price could be any good. Boy, was I wrong.

Unfortunately, it was purchased at the closeout sale at Consumers Distributing several years ago. I've been unable to successfully source it again but perhaps someone on here will recognize the logo. It was made in Taiwan. Another number label on the top camera mount is IN-1499.I have been able to find a company on-line named IIC Taiwan Ltd but they appear to be a supplier to Yamaha motorcyles.

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/ca006874/Desktop/tripod%203.jpeg[/img]

Attached Images

Clayton Root is offline   Reply With Quote