Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Stuck: Gitzo 1227 or 2227?

I can't make up my mind between these tripods. Both are Carbon Fiber and have received excellent reviews.

The 1227 is a "classical" tripod, and will support 17 lb . It weighs 3.4 lbs.

The 2228 weighs 4.5 lbs, and only supports 13 lb. It has infitely adjustable leg angles, and the centerpost can be swung to any angle from vertical to horizontal , as well as tilted or panned.

Problem is that my gear, when using everything, wil come to 12.5 pounds (under the most extreme, "use it all at the same time" scenario):

EOS D60 with battery grip & two batteries, 100-400 lens, Arca Swiss monoball, Wimberly Sidekick, one or both of the canon tele-extenders, and a flash (I seldom would be using the flash , and very seldom would use both extenders at the same time.)

Does anybody have experience with the 2227 and a heavy load?
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:58 AM   #2

i hate to admit it that i prefer the manfrotto 441 carbon better. the infinately adjusable legs on the 2227 can be pulled outward even when "locked"(though it does take some effort). it locks by friction not a secure step lock. the added capability of adding the new levling ctr post on the manfrotto makes it more versitile.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 6:17 PM   #3

The leg adjustment issue is real for the Gitzo explorer, but not a problem for outdoor softish surface shooting. When you take off the rubber caps at the end of the Gitzo legs, there are the nastiest spikes I've seen on anything more subtle than farm machinery. They really dig into the surface and hold the pod very stable. Even if the leg clamps aren't set, the tripod holds well.

On a hard surface like a sidewalk, the Gitzo leg clam system doesn't work well at all. The legs tend to spread if you load the pod.

I love my Gitzo explorer for panos shooting from a soft surface. It is very easy to level - don't have to mess with the leg length at all, just mess with the angle.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 8:06 PM   #4

Hi, Bill,

Do you have the aluminum or CF version of the explorer? I don't think the CF tripods have the spikes.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 9:39 PM   #5

Aluminimum. I don't do much hiking off our 60 acres so weight isn't a big issue for me.

Without the spikes and/or working on a hard surface the Explorer isn't my choice of tripods. Then I use my old Bogen 3011.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:23 PM   #6

the 441 has optional spikes too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote