Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:34 PM   #1

Hi everybody! (Hi Doctor Nick!!!) Sorry, I digress already.

Anyway, I have been looking at some legs and heads at a local camera shop, and I have narrowed it down toa few choices, but I'm now stuck, since I have never had a decent tripod, and therefore am inexperienced.

I am looking at Neotec 458b legs and the 3265, 486RC2 & 322RC2 heads. I think I am leaning towards the 486, just because I can move the camera without taking my hands off of the shutter. However, the Bogen/Manfrotto website says that you can get a head mounted shutter release for the 322. The other head (the 3265) is probably on the bottom of my list, because it only takes 5.5 lbs, while the other 2 can handle more than 10.

One more wrench to throw in to the engine, what about the 488RC2? I'm not sure if the camera shop has one, but next time I go, I'm gonna ask. I think this might give me an advantage over the 486 in the panoramic department. Are there any other advantages/disadvantages, over those two.

Any help that can be rendered on this subject would be greatly appreciated, since this will ultimately be a lot of money that I don't want to waste.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
effyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:49 PM   #2

The 488RCx series will give you additional benefits:

Increased weight bearing (17lb vs 13lb for 486)

Separate panning lock

488RC0 and RC4 also have a bulls-eye level on the mounting plate which I find very beneficial. It's much easier to level the ball-head than the legs so I think this is a very good feature (I have the 488RC4 which I use on 3021BPro legs). The 322 has the grip action ball head which people like because it is quick to set up - I think a lot of folks use this on a monopod. For me, the separate panning lock and increased weight bearing of the 488 is more important than the quick setup since I am using it on a tripod. The only feature the 488 doesn't have that I would like is a tension control knob. You can set tension somewhat by how tightly you lock the ball, but higher end models have a separate knob for setting tension so it is always constant. But, that's where Manfrotto offers the 490 - there's always another model with one more thing you might want.:-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 7:32 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
The only feature the 488 doesn't have that I would like is a tension control knob. You can set tension somewhat by how tightly you lock the ball, but higher end models have a separate knob for setting tension so it is always constant. But, that's where Manfrotto offers the 490 - there's always another model with one more thing you might want.:-)
Tension was the one problem I had when I first tried the 486 a few weeks ago. I couldn't find the right spot on the locking knob to stop my camera when I let go of it. Then I tried it a few days ago, and it worked for me. If I could get one where this would be a more controlled, thenIwould give it a serious look. The only problem with this might be money (or the lack of). I think I'll take a look at B&H Photo's website to see what the price is.

Thanks for the input John. Much appreciated
effyman is offline   Reply With Quote