Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

Could someone post what they think is a good tripod for less than $50 off of B&Hs website. They have TONS of tripods!

Thanks!
rbottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2

Hello! I can't comment on under $50 because I just went from an under $50 tripod that just didn't "do it" for the use I needed it for. Basically it was just ok at best. After much research and checking all the reviews I just purchased from B&H the Slik Pro 700DX. It was only $130 and is rated A++++ by professional users. But anyway read the reviews posted on google.

Under $50 and your convienence suffers greatly!
mdbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:49 PM   #3

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...183&is=REG

What about that?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:09 PM   #4

what camera are you try to support here?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2005, 2:16 PM   #5

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...257&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...540&is=REG

thats about as low as i can go and still maintain my feeling that it may not end up as closet clutter.

a tripod choice is relative to 3 things

1- camera type

2- the intended uses of the owner. believe me there are lots of uses.

3- price

if you're smart you'll choose as carefully as you chose your camera. you will get what you pay for.

if its closet clutter you want there's tons of it out there.

Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:26 PM   #6

It's for a Nikon D70 - Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 3:51 PM   #7

well then now we're talking a horse of another breed. depending on your lens and body combination the basic tripod to look ayt is this. the ones both you and i mentioned are quite inadequate to do a reasonable job of holding the setup stable and secure. and make it worth you expenditure. you took a lot of thought in you camera and hopefully lens too. now you need to at minimum get good support for it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...528&is=REG

28 yrs of shooting taught me one or two things and i went through my share of closet clutter legs.

Old May 19, 2005, 11:50 PM   #8

my solution was to shop around i found a manfroto for a wopping $20 and eventualy got a new head for it at $75
but its a go anywhere do anything
rogueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 1:13 PM   #9

Here is my two cents - take it for what it's worth:

Why would you spend $1200 on a camera - hundreds or thousands of dollars on a lense and want to waste all that good gear by using a $50 tripod? You don't need to spend $800 on a top-of-the-line carbon fiber with an arca swiss ballhead, but I would suggest something like what sjms suggested as THE MINIMUM STARTING POINT for a tripod. Even with that, you will find some limitations. I spent a couple months researching what tripod/head to get and I am by no means a pro - I use the tripod for about 30% of my photography. I ended up buying the 3021bpro legs and 488rc4 head. Here is why I bought that combination (other manufacturers will have similarJ):

Legs:

Load capacity of 13lbs - so there is some stability - not only does it need to hold your gear but it needs to hold up to wind and shake - tripods built for 8lbs won't be too stable.

Multiple angles for legs - useful on uneven terrain and for getting lower

Column can go horizontal - again useful for offsetting camera

Head:

17 lb load capacity - this is key again for stability. But you also find on ball heads with less capacity that the camera will move as you're locking it down - this moves less.

Separate panning lock - so you can lock the ball head and just release the pan lock to do panning. On lower end heads there is just one lock so panning requires you to loosen the lock for all directions.

has a spirit level - this is great - if you aren't doing panning and just want a quick shot or two - you just set up the legs and get the camera level by adjusting the ball head - much quicker then trying to get the legs level. This doesn't work if you are going to pan but it allows for a quicker setup if you don't pan.

If you can't afford everything I say buy good legs and a good enough head to start with and just replace the head. If the legs are substandard it won't do you any good to have a great head on them. But like sjms said - if you buy cheap you'll just end up paying more later.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 9:57 PM   #10

I think the best writen commentary on buyin g a tripod is: http://www.bythom.com/support.htm. Aimed at pros, but the basic point is the same even if you are never going to get a US$1,000 tripod.

A good tripod will outlast several cameras. If it isn't cluttering your closet, a cheap one will fail when your most expensive lens is being used over a concrete surface.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote