Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:04 PM   #21

Ansels gear packed up.

mine's a little more compact
Attached Images

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:08 PM   #22

because after owning one of these (amvona)they generally look back and ask what was that other one someone talked about? the one that would last that was lighter and sturdier. now that i don't want to carry this thing around even in the car. the one thats now in the closet taking up space.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:28 PM   #23

Nonetheless, Ansel's gear produced better results.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
Ansels gear packed up.

mine's a little more compact
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:34 PM   #24

true but then he also chose gear he trusted to work out in the field. stuff he was comfortable with and knew wouldn't fail him. the wooden tripod he used back then was better made and more reliable then what we're talking about here and now. he did not go cheap on his stuff. it had to work. plus he did well by it too. i used to shoot 4x5 a long time ago. even back when i was doing it the gear to do the job was not to cheap. wooden tripod were $175 or more in 1980's $$$ lenses like schneider and el nikkor. just imagine the relative price of gear as it was for him. and most of it wasn't real off the shelf too. so the price is relative there. he had money and was far from need of it.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:38 PM   #25

I guess since my Amvona tripod doesn't have a Manfrotto or Gitzo name inscribed on it, it must be prone to failure. Lemme just go ahead and spray paint those twonames on my tripod...maybe it'll last longer than both of those tripods.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:40 PM   #26

as to the herc head try to find a mitchell small gear head and then you will know "butterfly smooth"
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:40 PM   #27

You have absolutely no evidence that Adams' primitive wooden tripods were better made and more reliable than the Amvona 858 tripod. You are simply making crap up as you go here. The BEST tripods made 50-70 years ago were simply not that good.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
true but then he also chose gear he trusted to work out in the field. stuff he was comfortable with and knew wouldn't fail him. the wooden tripod he used back then was better made and more reliable then what we're talking about here and now. he did not go cheap on his stuff. it had to work. plus he did well by it too.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:43 PM   #28

AlpineMan wrote:
Quote:
I guess since my Amvona tripod doesn't have a Manfrotto or Gitzo name inscribed on it, it must be prone to failure. Lemme just go ahead and spray paint those twonames on my tripod...maybe it'll last longer than both of those tripods.

no it has nothing to do with the name. its the manufacturing and materials used no where near the same as the other mentioned companies. you bought a commodity product.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:46 PM   #29

It's been over a year...yet my trusty Amvona tripod hasn't fallen apart. I guess the tripod gods must be on my side. BTW, Amvona also has carbon fiber tripods if you want to go light.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:46 PM   #30

I don't actually care about "butterfly smooth" I care about good enough to meet my requirements cost effectively. And the hercules quickset head I have is more than sufficient. The Mitchell head does not meet my requirements - which include reasonable price.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
as to the herc head try to find a mitchell small gear head and then you will know "butterfly smooth"