Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:53 PM   #31

DougJGreen wrote:
Quote:
You have absolutely no evidence that Adams' primitive wooden tripods were better made and more reliable than the Amvona 858 tripod. You are simply making crap up as you go here. The BEST tripods made 50-70 years ago were simply not that good.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
true but then he also chose gear he trusted to work out in the field. stuff he was comfortable with and knew wouldn't fail him. the wooden tripod he used back then was better made and more reliable then what we're talking about here and now. he did not go cheap on his stuff. it had to work. plus he did well by it too.
well now the insults are not necessary. try going to yosemite and got to the Ansel Adams pavillion there. they have had his gear on display. i've been there more then once

now what do you know about alloys and other materials? you see in my regular line of business i'm required to know quite a bit about those products especially aluminum and now composites.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:57 PM   #32

Actually, the insults were very much a response to your insults. I am not aware of any other way to effectively convey how little I value the self-righteous opinions on this subject that you have felt compelled to offer.

Insults such as these doozies:

"You unfortunately don't have any idea how to use a tripod, and that's really sad."

"read a little.....it's an acquired skill"
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:58 PM   #33

i think you're loosing your composure. generally i do not make up crap as i go along. i'm sorry you feel that way so i think this conversation has come to an end.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 6:00 PM   #34

Thank goodness.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:37 PM   #35

just read on and theres your tripod that AA used and there made the same way today rock stiff out of wood the same way they did back then and still stiffer and beter made then most today

http://www.riestripod.com/

sorry i had to ID it from pictures i have of it. you know the crap i make up as i go along sort of stuff. :lol:
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:46 PM   #36

Apparently, you could help but disprove your own statement that you were done with this conversation. That's a shame, as we were hoping that something you posted could be relied upon, but I guess not.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:49 PM   #37

oh well. but as you can see some truth remains the truth and not made up crap as i go along. enjoy the clunker
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:55 PM   #38

Enjoy your self-righteousness. If I so desire, I can replace my tripod, but you are stuck with your personality for your lifetime.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 2:44 AM   #39

You know, it's amazing how faithfully sjms tracks down every discussion about amvona tripods and blabs on in a superior drone about how wonderfully knowledgeable he is in the fine art of buying a camera stand. I was looking into buying an amvona tripod and checked out a few discusions on them here, on fredmiranda, and other places and ALWAYS I found sjms there to belittle or chide someone for being happy with their new piece of gear. It's rude and obnoxious to continue to berate someone for not being as unhappy as you want them to be. The fact is that plenty of people are happy with what they get from their amvonas, as well as their manfrottos and gitzos. Hell, some people are happy with the fifteen dollar tripods at office depot (not me, but I can see it working out in some cases). It's also a fact that many people who buy those high-end tripods ALSO end up having them sitting in their closets, or stashed away in their garage. If you are excited about photography and are always looking for ways to get an image that you want, the gear will sort itself out, sometimes expensively, sometimes rather cheaply. But being a gear snob on webforums is just boring. For a lot of people, just the recognition that they need a stable platform to shoot from (which amvona tripods are, please dont debate this, they are tripod bases that weigh 5-10lbs, from a straight physics standpoint they ARE stable) is going to greatly improve their ability to grow with photography, and if someone's photography experience can grow substantially for less than $100, then I think that's great. (How many of us have experienced "learning curve" moments that were FAR more costly?). If you are having a good time shooting from your amvona and are producing images that you are happy with, then that was one hell of a good purchase! If not, then no big loss, just go to some camera shops and see if there is something else to get excited about. And smjs, why dont you take that tripod you are so absolutely manic about and go take some more pictures WITH it rather than OF it. By the way, I'm not normally this snippy, but I feel that sjms' self-righteousness here is deserving of a bit of good-natured derision.:G
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:32 PM   #40

Well, now that I've had a chance to use the complete set of Amvona tripod legs and heads that I bought, I can say that I am very pleased with the stuff.

The AT-858 Legs, which cost me under $50 shipped, are dead ringers for the Manfrotto 3021N legs. The Amvona ATH-H93 aluminum ball head (under $17 shipped) and the ATH-H96 Magnesium Alloy ball head ($50 shipped) are all superb values. IMHO, the H93 head is easily as good as anything that can be bought for $50-70, and the H96 Head is at least as good as anything for under $100-$125. Nobody will confuse these for $300-500 heads from Arca Swiss, RRS, or Kirk, but they are certainly as good as anything in the less expensive price ranges I mentioned above. Movements and controls are precise, smooth, and rugged. They lack separate tension and locking controls, having one combined control for both functions, but that's the rule for any ball head in those price ranges - a separate tension control pushes you into the class of $200+ heads.

All in all, I'd say that the AT-858 leg set, combined with the ATH-H93 ball head, for a combined cost of something like $70 including shipping is a screaming great value, and is totally comparable in functionality to a $200-$300 or more basic Manfrotto tripod w/head. It's NOT the equivalent of a $600 leg set + $400 pro-class head. But it's a great starter set, and a super tripod kit for well under $100.