Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 7, 2005, 1:26 PM   #21

I emailed bob rigby (he says the wimberly would be the P10) and nikonians about a custom plate for my sigma macro as i think at the moment its the only plate i will use for now and when my accounts recover i will think about another for the 10d.

Do u think I'll be able to use the macro for photogrpahing artwork as if i can get away with this it should be all i need for now...have u any experience photogrpahing artwork? - if so any tips?

also do u know if these plates come w. different screw threads as it looks like its 1/4"?
sick little monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:03 PM   #22

I finally bit the bullet :? and ordered a Markins Q ball M-10 head w clamp and plate for my sigma macro (kirk said I'd need the LP-2) and couldn't resist the kirk focussing rail LRP-1 from Nikonians as I was out shooting yesterday and I had another ball slip and clunk went my lens, (ouch!) everythings ok but I need to not have to worry about this as everythings so awkward...

so from everything you've helped me with I should be more than happy now !
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:34 AM   #23

the plates are standard screw thread forthe camera threaded bases. since thats what their designed for which is the 1/4

suggestions? SHOOT! till your happy experiment go nuts use all the tools at your disposal now. you have a great start. you essentally have nothing to stop yo now.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 9:26 AM   #24

Yeah...just got the horrible wait til it turns up... :sad:

have u ever used the kirk LRP-1 rail? and do u think kirk are right in saying the sigma takes the LP-2 plate?

are your tripod legs gitzo's?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:45 AM   #25

if kirk says the sigma takes the lp-2 they are most likely right you want it to be a little longer the the original plate its going on.

no i haven't used the kirk i am saving up for the RRS with the block

i have 2 sets of legs

gitzo G2228 explorer w/markins M10

manfrotto 055MF3 using the RRS BH-55 with a 555B leveling column

a little quicky i did with the 150mm sigma macro

for higher detail: http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/44461432/original

Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2005, 12:46 AM   #26

the backside

for higher detail: http://www.pbase.com/crusader/image/44461433
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2005, 4:02 PM   #27

good stuff...excellent detail...

Nikonians say I should have it by Tues...
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:09 PM   #28

Excellent!!!

my legs:

Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2005, 3:12 AM   #29

nice...which is which and do you have a preference or use each for specific work or shots?

something else I'm wondering is have you found the 1Ds to be worth the money and whats the MP I know the 1Ds II is 16.7MP...
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:20 AM   #30

the smaller gitzo is used for travel when i have to limit things a bit but still need the legs. it's pretty much 50/50 for use though. the gitzo has a slight edge for movement though.

the 1Ds is an 11MP camera. i had one and actually liked it quite a bit. the only real reason i moved it out is that today a digital camera is a commodity that drops in value faster then a used car. this is due to the next best thing rule of marketing. i needed to recoup some of my investment in it. plus i was getting involved in shooting newspaper stuff. i ended up with a 1Dm2(work) and a 1Dsm2 for me(made the $$$ to get that) as far as is it worth it. its this equasion: price paid+results=happy if that doesn't work then you'll know the answer.

limitations on a 1Ds are as follows:

this is not a speed camera it is a field camera. similar to a hassy or mamiya. thats the way you need to think

there is a difference in image quality between it and a 1Dm2. if your a cropper like i am the 1Dm2 images fall apart at ahigher level then a 1Ds

a 1Ds has a upper limit of ISO usability for me of about 800 using NI or NN for noise reduction. i have gotten acceptable results at 1000 but limited.