Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:10 PM   #31

Don't really need a speed camera as never been into doing sport etc mostly portraits and macro/studio based stuff in the past...

I would like to upgrade from the 10d to get the better res and be able to print my work at a larger size etc but at the mo a 1dsm2 is well out of my league price wise...

what sort of price does a 1ds go for used? also its bound to be more expensive over here in the UK as all photo stuff is!

a friend of mine has just got a 20d but not had a chance to have a look at it yet but its still only 2MP more than mine so not a huge diference...
sick little monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 10:20 PM   #32

depending on the condition these days about $4000-$4500US
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:17 PM   #33

hiya - got my head and plates but been so busy, I've only got round to using it today properly and I see what u mean - excellent bit of kit! - how did I get on without it?

Haven't even opened the long rail plate yet...

Only problem now is that the extendable column on my uni loc won't lock so that it can easily rotate left or right - is this common to these types of legs?

Thinking about getting another tripod in a bit as although the uni locs great for weird angles I don't always need that and the its quite bulky and the octopus legs can be annoying - any recommendations something good for all round use in studio and macro flowers outdoors - I do like the column on the uni - haven't you got one on yours? did you say its called a lever column?
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:52 PM   #34

sick little monkey wrote:
Quote:
hiya - got my head and plates but been so busy, I've only got round to using it today properly and I see what u mean - excellent bit of kit! - how did I get on without it?

Haven't even opened the long rail plate yet...

Only problem now is that the extendable column on my uni loc won't lock so that it can easily rotate left or right - is this common to these types of legs?

Thinking about getting another tripod in a bit as although the uni locs great for weird angles I don't always need that and the its quite bulky and the octopus legs can be annoying - any recommendations something good for all round use in studio and macro flowers outdoors - I do like the column on the uni - haven't you got one on yours? did you say its called a lever column?
i've been using, as you can see, manfrotto and gitzo for the past 10 years or so. depending on your budget the manfrotto 3021pro or in europe the 055PROB will more then fill your needs with relative economy as it is the aluminum version of my 055MF3 carbon fiber tripod and is about 1/2 the price.

now mine has a leveling column. it is a half ball adjustment system for leveling your head for use in pano shots. it is an additional component that replaces your centerpost on any tripod that has a 28mm shaft diameter and doesn't have a antirotation pin. that by itself goes for about $100US.

don't know too much about uniloc only that it is a distant relative to benbo.

Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:15 AM   #35

I've had a look at the manfrotto but what I really want is the same sort of system as the uni loc where the centre column can be set to any angle verticle or horizontal etc - without having to undo the column and reset it...

I also looked at the gitzo G2228 (is that the same as yours?) on ebay and there are some companies selling it with a tilt column and this seems to be what I am after? - it lloks like a very nice tripod! but the price is stoopid in the UK but cheaper to buy on ebay from hong kong - if this is the right sort of column i would want? and can you get them for the manfrotto?

how much smaller is the gitzo and would be it be a problem or do you find any restrictions to height etc over the manfrotto?

the gitzo seems to be more like the uni loc where the legs can be set independantly - do you find this useful?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:52 AM   #36

yes i use the G2228. now there is an aluminum version called the G2220. it has 3 sections and is about the length of the 055 on the left. it does everything the 2228 does but for also about 1/2 the 2228's price. another to think about. i find the independent legs endispensable. the 055 legs are independent too but not nearly as much. it has 3 positions where the 2228 is infinately adjustable.
Attached Images

Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:00 AM   #37

what do u think about the columns is the tilt the same sort as your lever column?

- is that the gitzo in the middle?
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:09 AM   #38

oh no the 055 does not have the total tilt capability (but it is the best second tripod setup for general use and for that just in case factor)of the center g2228 . the g2228 was trained by chinese acrobats for many years in secret since birth. then cirque de soleil pick up on it and did further training. there is no tripod at this point that moves like it.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:13 AM   #39

the limits of these 2 tripods are pretty much that of the user. i can make the 055 do ~75% of the things the g222x series does
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:01 PM   #40

acrobats...lol...u are a funny guy! :G

seems like it does everything a uni loc does but u have more control over the legs...i like the uni loc a lot but the legs can get out of hand like dealing with slippery bagpipes!

i went to gitzo's site and i see the 2227 is slightly taller - is that all the difference? does it have the same column set up as the others - do they all have the same features except for the height? also what difference does the 4 leg sections in the 2228 make - does it give more control?

the manfrotto seems solid but i've got used to a tilting column and found its great for finding those angles quickly...