Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old May 26, 2005, 8:21 PM   #11

In my humble opinion if you are only hiking a mile a CF tripod may be unnecessary - I do about the same level hikes and use a Manfrotto 3021Brpo tripod with 488RC4 ballhead - a total cost of $200 - the legs were $130. While CF tripods are no doubt better I don't think you NEED one for your requirements - a less expensive while still sturdy aluminum may still fit your bill.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 9:18 PM   #12

I agree - for a mile hike one of the cast-iron tripods is likely to serve well. Get a golf bag on large wheels at a garage sale if it gets a bit much.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 12:13 PM   #13

Bill - not sure how to take your response - can't tell if you really agree or if you're mocking my suggestion that an aluminum tripod is a legit solution for the posters needs. Just curious
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:47 PM   #14

JohnG, I agree with you about not needing a very light tripod. I tend to refer to the Al tripods as cast-iron to make sure that everyone knows that I am refering to the heavy tripods. And to keep my favorite analogy going with a cast-iron frying pan - one of the best cooking implements going, but not something you would take on a really long hike. You might take it if you are only going a mile and staying there for a while.

Al sounds light, and it is, but nowhere near as light as carbon fiber. Nowhere near as expensive either.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:28 PM   #15

ok then go look at a manfrotto 3021PRO the aluminum equivelent of the 055MF3 at about $140
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote