Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:27 AM   #1

Hi, I just bought my first real camera, the Casio EXILIM EX-Z750. I'll be using it for many different kinds of photos and lot's of video shooting.

Could you guys recommend a versatile tripod <$100 that's good for steady video shooting (moving the camera in all kinds of positions while shooting video, without any shaking). I know nothing about tripods..I'd just like a cheap but good stand to make steady photo's and video's anywhere.
Torben Scharling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2005, 10:05 AM   #2

for that type/size of camera hust about any will work. if you want quality and still want to stay in you pricing catagory look into these names

slik

manfrotto (my preference)

velbon

these are good allaround tripods w/o getting wild. pricing for a reasonable one is in the $50-$80 range.

do us all a favor and put in at least you country of origin. it helps in directing you to the appropriate persons and or equipment.

here is a good one

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...257&is=REG

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 3:43 PM   #3

Ok, that looks good...But if I want to move the camera in a flowing motion while shooting video, don't I need a tripod with some sort of handle on it? On the one in your link It seems that I'd have to have my hands on the camera to do that..?

I live in Copenhagen Denmark, but will probably buy from Ebay or just anywhere cheap online that ships to Denmark unless I find something veru similar in a shop in Denmark for a reasonable price..
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:06 PM   #4

ah! you didn't mention the video aspect as a important function or at all:-)

there is a pan head version. these tripods are made in italy. try some of the european sellers on the web

www.manfrotto.com
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 2:55 AM   #5

Okay, shouldn't I go for a ballhead panhead tripod instead of a 3-way panhead? Are ballhead's just free motion or can you pan horizontically and vertically in level? I like the idea of a ballhead because It would give me possibilities to do freemotion but it may not be good for level panning?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:08 AM   #6

Ofcause I could always buy something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=272508&is=REG

which has a pan-head and a ballhead. However the ballhead doesn't have a pan "arm"..does that even exist?
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:15 AM   #7

Well just to inform people, I went with the Velbon MAX-i 347E http://www.velbon-tripod.com/maxi.htm# The manfrotto legs where great but I didn't like the price and the head...This one was one of the best designed, compact and smoothest panning and it fits the camera well so I think I'll be really happy with it. I'd never have given that much for a tripod if it haden't been for the advice on forums that most people buy a cheap one and buy a better one later, but for shooting video I think a smooth panning is essential and the manfrotto's and cheaper Velbon weren't good enough.