Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:34 AM   #1

I currently have a Canon 20D with a Sigma 18-125, but I will probably buy a heavier telephoto in the next few months. Weight is not a major consideration now in that I'll probably buy a light weight tripod for hiking later on. I'm willing to spend what is necessary, but I'd prefer to keep the cost under $300 as I'm a complete novice who won't be using this heavily.
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:22 PM   #2

now is that the tripod as in legs or both tripod and head together?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:36 AM   #3

I'll need both, and I'm not adverse to buying used on e-bay. I just need to know what to look for. For example, I can find Manfrotto 3001 legs for around $50. It doesn't say whether they are "Pro," so I assume it must be an older model.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
now is that the tripod as in legs or both tripod and head together?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:52 AM   #4

the pro in the 3021pro is additional articulation of the center post capability. it can be moved to al lateral position making it one outstanding macro pod.the 3001Bpro is a lighter weight equivelent design

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

its load capacity drops by 1/3

how many tripod do you want to buy in your life?

you investin not buy such equipment.

a tripod is an extension of you and the camera. if you cannot interface with it the way you want it becomes closet clutter (wasted money). cheap tripod get no return on investment.

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:11 AM   #5

I am new to this, but I am having a hard time believing that I can't get a pretty good tripod/head combo used for under $300.

sjms wrote:
Quote:
the pro in the 3021pro is additional articulation of the center post capability. it can be moved to al lateral position making it one outstanding macro pod.the 3001Bpro is a lighter weight equivelent design

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

its load capacity drops by 1/3

how many tripod do you want to buy in your life?

you investin not buy such equipment.

a tripod is an extension of you and the camera. if you cannot interface with it the way you want it becomes closet clutter (wasted money). cheap tripod get no return on investment.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:25 AM   #6

its all relative of how you think a tripod should be. and what determins good. $300 may be overkill because it depends on the components you are acquiring for it. the head is a very important part of the equation. a pan and tilt head is as low as $20 to 25. depending on what and how you shoot its shortcomings will become apparant fairly quickly. i use a tripod often. i shoot macro. i shoot portrait. i shoot industrial. i shoot the occasional panorama image.

if your just after the standard strait up/down tripod you can go well below $300. if you want a tool that can do more then its going to cost more.

a tripod is a tool of articulation. it allows you to shoot things easier and with less effort and greater focus. it is an extention of you and your camera.

Attached Images

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:26 AM   #7

eBay has several great deals on tripod legs/heads. I've been looking closely at the Manfrotto 3021 line. Unfortunately, all the sellers simply refer to them as 3021 so there is no way to tell if they are PRO, N, etc. I suspect that all these models within the 3021 line are new and that older 3021's did not have these specifications, but I have no way of comparing the old version with the new version.

From what I have read, I think that something comparable to the Manfrotto 3021Pro/Bogen 3055 combo would meet my needs very well.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:35 AM   #8

the first thing you can do is look at the images and match them up to the model you want. the second thing you can do is ask them.

most owners of the pro model don't give them up easily becaue of its capabilities.

on QR systems. you better read up on the systems available. the Arca Swiss clamp/ plate system is the defacto standard and allows greater versatility to your system.

note the plates on the cameras and the lens. low profile and it is the most positive system out there. but if you not going to use its capabilities it is a waste though.

start think of your tripod as an essential peice of your gear not an accessory. you put out some $$$ for a body and lenses right?

Attached Images