Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm jsut thinking about this at the moment. Do any of you have experience with a remote controlled motorized tripod head? I'd like to set up a tripod close to a bird feeder or some place where birds are animals may bee. I want to be about 30ft away and remotely aim the camera (curretnly a Panasonic FZ20). I have a 40ft long shutter relesse cable for the camera. I will be getting a 40ft composite video cable. And, I have a Gitzo Explorer G2220 tripod.

Because of my vision, I have a device called Jordy that is essentially electronic glasses that can take video input. By connecting the camera's video-out to the Jordy, I will be able to see what the camera sees.

What are the recommended brands and cost for a motorized tripod head?

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:48 PM   #2

Oh, if you are curious, here is a link for info about the Jordy device that I mentioned:

http://www.enhancedvision.com/jordy_system.php
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:19 PM   #3

You would have to extend the remote cord, but this might work for you.

http://www.adorama.com/VDMPH.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 3:29 PM   #4

Thanks! I did find this item at B&H:

Bescor MP-101 Motorized Pan Head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...399&is=REG

B&H also has a 50' extension cord for this device. I went ahead and ordered it. Plus I threw in a hotshoe mounted level that has been in my B&H wish list.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Old Aug 17, 2005, 4:51 PM   #5

I got the Bescor MP-101 two weeks ago. It is a bulky tripod head but it does work good. I wish the vertical angle was more than +/-15 degrees but it will do fine. I haven't taken pictures of the set up yet. When I take the photos, I'll post them. So far, I am satisfied with the set up.

Thanks,
Steven
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:46 PM   #6

Hi all,

Finally, this weekend, I got a chance to test my remote bird watching setup. As I promised, I'm posting the results.

Supplies:

Panasonic FZ20 & AV out cable
A tripd

Bescor MP-101 Motorized Pan Head
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...399&is=REG

Bascor 50' remote extension cable
Phayee 40' shutter release cable
50' composite vide cable

I couldn't find a 50 composite vide cable so I got a 50 coax cable, coax to male RCA converters, and 2 coax to female RCA converter. I then ran the video cable to the TV in the house. So from inside, I could watch the birds and shoot photos. The motorized tripod allowed me to move the camera. Here are pics of the setup:

The movement of the camera did not seem to phase the birds what so ever. Below are 3 samples. Remember, I was testing the concept and not concentrationg on quality.

I feel the test was a success. I shot the pics in P-mode. I will probably use A-mode in the future. The bad thing is I can't change any of the camera settings from in the house. I would have to go outside and disturb the birds to make changes. The speed was fairly good. I wish I had more vertical tilting. The tripod head is limted to +/-15 degrees. The +/-90 degrees horizontal movement is sufficient.

I also plan to go to a nature reserve and test this setup. For a TV viewer, I would use my electronic glasses called Jordy which has a video-in jack.
http://www.enhancedvision.com/jordy_system.php

Please feel free to ask any related questions.

Enjoy life!
Steven
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:04 AM   #7

Hi I use the same head for a different application. I currently use a Canon 1d mrk II and a Canon G6 you can remote control all the camera functions from a laptop via Firewire cable for the 1d and a USB cable for the G6, Not sure if that would be any good to you.
essexlandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2005, 10:41 PM   #8

Thanks. I do plan to get a DSLR some time next year that I can fully control remotely. I don't know which one that I want, yet. I've been looking at the Nikon D70 or the K-M 7D. I am keeping my eye on the 4/3rds camera Panasonic is working on. I'm also interested in the leaked Nikon D200. Time will tell.

Enjoy life!
Steven