Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

After reading a lot of positive report on the Arca-Swiss Monoball B1, I bought one which cost me close to US$500.00 including shipping.

After two weeks of receiving it, I was on an assignment and I had mounted the B1 on the Gitzo 1325 tripod and place them on the back seat of my car. When I had to suddenly apply the break to my car, the tripod with the B1 fell to the floor of the car. Upon inspection, I found that the Flip-Lock handle on the B1 had broken.

First and foremost, a professional level Ballhead has no business being so fragile. Secondly, they should have better customer service. I am so fed up with the Arca-Swiss people!! They dont reply to your request for help. I am willing to pay for the part .. but I need the Flip-lock replaced. However, after one reply from someone called Martin Vogt at
[email protected], the Arca-Swiss people simply wont reply to my mails. Can it get any more frustrating??

Or is this company plain racist?

Can anyone help me find a place where I can have the flip-lock replaced? I will be most grateful

Yeshey Dorji

BHUTAN

-----------------------------------
Yeshey Dorji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2

well right off the bat i'll say that i was never to fond of their lever lock. due to its polymer content.

now, what does raceism have to do with just plain bad business practices? please don't even go there. i think you have a lot to learn life the universe and everything to ask such a question without any merit or evidence pointing to it.

you now unfortunately have a few choices being that you are probably not going to like too much due to your proximity to the major hubs of photography in the world

1- send it back to AS and pay and most likely have it happen again. plus as you said rather poor support

or

2- replace the entire clamp assembly (fairly easy) with a much more robust one from Really Right Stuff made in the US. theirs is made out of stainless steel and is self adjusting

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/clamps/index.html

they are a company that bases all their products on the AS clamping system and now produces ballheads and clamps that in my opinion is far superior to the AS product.

by the way where did you buy it?arca swiss has to have some representation inyour part of the world

Attached Images

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:59 AM   #3

Hi SJMS

Thanks for the response and for the kind advise. I appreciate it very much.

As to my view about the company being racist, please read the following reply from one Martin Vogt in repsonse to my first mail requesting help. He replied and assumed that I was from UK. When I replied that I am not from UK but from Asia, he then never replied to me - even after sending him three mails.

As you can see he offered me a choice of either sending the ballhead to them or that they would send me a replacement part. I wrote back giving them an address in Geneva where the part could be forwarded. He never replied. I then sent him another 2 reminders - NO REPLY to date.

Bye and thanks once again ... I bought the AS Ballhead from NYC, USA - a firend help me buy it. May be I should follow your advise and send the ballhead to USA - for replacing the fliplock assembly with that of Really RiteStuff. Originally I was advised to buy the RRS ... but I read very good reports on the AS ...

Yeshey

-------------------------

[email protected]

Dear [size=Yeshey

Where to you live ?
UK ?
You can either send your head to us or we can send you a spare flip-lock handle though this will require some mechanical kow how.

Plrase advise

Best regards

ARCA-SWISS International
Martin Vogt]

Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:01 PM   #4

well i still don't get the racist angle. stupidity on their partyes.but we'll put that one aside for the time being.

i used to have an AS B1 now i have a RRS BH-55. thats all i have to say on that subject.

now contact John at RRS at [email protected]. he can tell you what clamp you need and how to get the pld clamp off yourself w/o sending it to them. saving you considerable time and or money. you will not be sorry you went this way.

lighten up a little. these people will help you

Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:50 AM   #5

Hi sjms

Thanks once again ….

OK I will write to John at RRS at [email protected] and seek his help in repairing my AS B1. The problem with me is that we don't use Credit Cards in my country … so we can't make payment on line. Therefore I need to use a friend in the US to do the purchases for me.

By the way I visited your page at PB. You have some wonderful photos there. I use to post my photos at the photoblink site … but rite now my membership ran out and I can renew because again I don't have Credite Card to pay online. My last membership was paid for by a friend but now I don't want to bother him again.

If you have the time please visit:

http://www.photoblink.com/photosthumb.asp?groupby=authorid&value=4771&am p;cid=0

Thanks

Yeshey Dorji
Old Sep 17, 2005, 2:13 PM   #6

excellent images there. you seem to like the birds. me i love shooting people these days. i have been to asia quite a few times.Bhutan though has been an issue for me by the limits that are placed on tourists. no unguided or independent touring. as you know that can crimp a photographers style. maybe someday. but thats the policy of the government and thats the way it is. i must respect that. you have the freedom there that i wouldn't.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:35 PM   #7

Thanks .. yes I love to photograph birds. I love shooting people too. Soon I will be doing quite a bit of it including landscapes.

Well I know that some think Bhutan is an expensive destination. But considering that everything is included in the Visa fees … I think you will find that the price really is not so much. Also, you don't have to stick to a pre-set program. You can tell your tour operator that you want to go shooting .. and he will arrange a car and a guide for you. You don't have to stick to the group – you can go it alone and do your own thing.

Old Sep 18, 2005, 9:00 AM   #8

now that has potential. thats good info to know.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 3:36 PM   #9

Precision Camera Works located outside Chicago, are the sole authorized Arca Swiss repair center in the western hemisphere.

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/...arca_core.html
classicflytyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:07 PM   #10

yes it would be nice to just send it there from say san fransisco or even NJ but Bhutan is another issue. its just a wee bit further away.between the cost of shipping and the repair cost due to self inflicted damage would outweight that of just ordering up a far superior clamp that is substantially harder to do damage to and replace it yourself vs that original option of international travel.

if he went with the repair he would still have a clamp assy that was more fragile and not self adjusting. for him the new clamp from RRS is a WIN/WIN situation. it built with the field in mind and just works better overall.
i think, so far, that his ballhead as more air miles on it then he has himself.