Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:42 AM   #1

Default How To Choose A Tripod Article

An easy-to-read article on how to choose a tripod includes many of the features necessary to consider when purchasing a tripod.

The article can be found at:
http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo11.php3

PT
outdooreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:46 PM   #2

Outdooreyes,
Thanks for the link, good general information
I have a little comment about the centerpost item:

Quote:
Centerpost:
There are 2 options available for the centerpost:
1) smoothed
2) geared.
The smooth centerpost is extended by holding the centerpost and raising it. The geared version has a small crank on the side, and when turned, raises or lowers the centerpost. The geared version allows you to raise or lower the tripod with one hand which is for some, and advantage. There is also an option with the smooth centerpost. Some manufacturers allow the centerpost to be removed and turned upside down so that the camera can be closer to the ground... upside down. This feature comes in handy some times. If you feel that this might be of value, then consider the smooth centerpost.
Some manufacturers also offer centerpost piece that can be arranged in the horizontal position allowing the camera to be off center, very useful when you need so.
(ref: manfrotto/bogen tripods and accessories)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 2:21 PM   #3

you bet KCan. the lateral positioning of the head on the manfrotto and evn the gitzo make them the most versatile legs around. now the have made a additional head assy that makes levelingin real easy too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2003, 6:19 PM   #4

Very helpful..
After reading the link i was able to choose a tripod for myself.
I got a quantaray model for my 717.
Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2003, 3:28 PM   #5

:?:
i'm a newbie here and am just about to buy my first "good" camera and have decided on the canon g3. thank gawd for the internet or i'd be lost in all the choices! the tripod info link helped a lot and im looking at both manfrotto and gitzo...any specific suggestions, i'm here to learn :? i want to try to get this right the first time ! i guess according to the link i should be making my choices on what lenses i will eventually want. excecpt for extreme close-up i can't imagine what i'm NOT wanting to shoot. :lol:
8)
mzcuriouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 11:27 PM   #6

mzcuriouz,
Take a look at this thread :

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2203

IMO, All depends your needs , you can start with a good size metal tripod for general use indoor/outdoor without too much traveling. Or you may consider right away the carbon line which is light, more suitable for traveling, hiking …
You may also consider a model with a centerpost that can be arranged in the horizontal position. This may worth. Mine can’t because it was an old model. Check also if the centerpost can be resersed allowing to mount the camera at the bottom of the post (great for vertical macro) . I guess that almost manfrotto can.
Choosing the right head is also important. The best thing to do is to try them at a store.
With time, your need may grow … never know …
A monopod with this ? handy if you often shoot in crowded places …
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:24 PM   #7

Very interesting article. I'm in the process of considering a tripod and/or monopod. This was helpful.

Another feature not mentioned is that some tripods (manfrotto?) have a hook at the bottom of the center colum which you can suspend weight to, to help with stability.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 11:32 PM   #8

actually that would be a gitzo tripod, the more affluent sister to manfrotto that has the hook. adding a device to suspend a weight centered on a tripod is easy, but you must start off with a good one like a manfrotto or above. the quality of the legs and the locks need to be quite high. so wobble/flex is eliminated.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 3:28 PM   #9

I'm also in the market for my first tripod and that article was helpful. Today I went to a camera store and learned a few of the features. It's a lot easier being there and seeing everything in person. I might be interested in a Sunpak 3300. I like the fact that you can mount the err...*mount* to the bottom of your camera, leave it there, and than mount it into the tripod at will. The sales guy says he doesn't usually recommend Sunpak tripods but this one is pretty good. Any thoughts?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote