Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Nov 14, 2005, 2:09 PM   #1

I'm considering buying one of these Cullman tripods for travel and hiking. I like that both models can be converted to monopods. They weigh a little over 3 lbs. each. Has anyone used or owned one of these? Looking for feedback on build quality, ease of use, durability, etc. Thanks!

http://www.cullmann-foto.de/en/produ...lpods/2742.htm
http://www.cullmann-foto.de/en/produ...lpods/2722.htm
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 1:08 PM   #2

Personally, I don't like the looks of it. Anything that comes in multi pieces, is usually not the best at being very steady. To have to assemble this thing would be a little like playing pick-up-sticks, to me.

As for mono-pods, usually they will let you go about 2 more stops, and provide some steadiness. But I have never invested in one, I have found when I need a tripod, that's exactly what I need. So I wouldn't even be considering the mono-pod function.

Really I would invest my money, in some type of compact travel tripod. Three pounds is also on the heavy side,- to call it a travel/hiking tripod.

Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:03 AM   #3

Go to http://www.giottos.com and look for the Tripod RT8000 Series. I used that tripod everywhere since it is sooo small. I often just pull out one leg as monopod when necessary. Many times I even brought it in where no tripod is allowed, but no one care after because it is very small. Trust me, it is sturdy enough for my Nikon 8800, and this tripod size is even smaller than many monopods. I'm currently using RT8220, it folds down to 280mm and can be extended to 1030mm. Also, it weights only 530g, like several large chocolate bars. I bought mine's in Canada, Superstore at $19.99. I don't have to carry one heavy tripod and one monopod anymore in 99% of my occasion.

Great Price, Great Product!!
Attached Images

Nikon8800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:13 AM   #4

I have one very similar to the RT-8000, it's just a little to light, I consider it an emergency tripod only. I keep it in my day pack at all times.

Ritz Camera, and it's affiliates have the best one for the money. They give it as 51 " fully extended but mine is 53". The tripod is supposed to be a sunpak Mfg. tripod but the legs are Velbon patented, so it makes you wonder. It also looks like the similar Velbon tripod, that sells for twice the price.

This one sells for $65.00 tax included in NC. And is sturdy enough to classify as a real tripod.

Link: http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....hreadid=651307
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:32 AM   #5

I saw that one in the camera shop for $120.00 CAD. It's slightly better but it's way too expensive here. I still preferto stick withRT8220! Hehe..
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6

Nikon8800 wrote:
Quote:
I saw that one in the camera shop for $120.00 CAD. It's slightly better but it's way too expensive here. I still preferto stick withRT8220! Hehe..
That's strange how things here work, The Velbon is $120.00. Evidently also sold in a trade or something to Sunpak = $85.00. Peddled off to Ritz, as their house brand "Quantaray" = $59.95 before tax.

Maybe you need G. B. to come and tear up your economy, then things would get cheaper. But so do wages, no real trade-off there :-)

Funny though the other tripod, the look alike RT-8000 job cost me $25.00 here, before tax. Explain that?.

Of course there is E-Bay, but I don't like them. You can get ripped off grandly there. Also it's like another great American company Wal-Mart, responsible for destroying the small business man in this country. Forcing more people to work for the big cooperations, who just don't give a d---.

I really think half or more of the stuff on e-bay is black market. Stuff disappears on a regular basis -port of New-York, but of course it always falls in the river, where nobody bothers to look. :-)Insurance settles the bill, and everybody is happy. Including the crooks.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:45 PM   #7

I agree. The pricing are illogical and unexpectable.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:46 PM   #8

I had pretty much given up on this old post but just discovered your replies. So thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll check them out.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:27 PM   #9

Steve40, how is your Digi Pro 100 tripod working out? I went to Ritz and checked it out. Collapsed size was just about ideal. They had a few in silver, not black like yours. The sales guy said they were made for light weight P&S cams, black and silver models built exactly the same. One leg wouldn't fully extend on the one I looked at, and the guy warned me off it, saying they don't hold up with repeated use. Hope you're lucky with yours. I decided not to chance it.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:44 AM   #10

I don't know where he came by his comment, on the repeated usage. Ritz has just added this tripod to their line. The leg assembly, is exactly the same as Velbons $120 unit. Since I have had mine, I have used it quite a bit with no problems!. Of course nothing is user proof. Jerking the legsout, and twisting thethemlike wringing a chickens head off, could result in damage. All light weight tripods require some thought with use, no matter who makes them, and how much they are used, or cost.

If you are using a DSLR, with a long heavy lens, no light tripod is practical. They do give a 3.3 pound limit. We will just have to wait on reports of long term usage, to find out how they hold up.

#PS. Oh yes Velbons tripod, which is exactly the same gets nothing but rave reviews. The only difference is the way the legs release to spread. They use a sliding lock, instead of a twist lock. Both are imported to the US by ToCad.

One review was form a gentleman using a Nikon D 70, and a 200mm. lens, he liked it very well.