Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:12 AM   #1

Please could someone put me in the right direction for the correct tripod needed for my equipment, my camera is a 20D and the lenses vary but mostly used will be the 70-200L IS USM with or without converters. My budget is limited but i am going to need one for a trip as i usually use a beanbag etc, and as there are sooo many a little guidance is required. Thanks.
barkerlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:32 PM   #2

Depends a lot on what your going to be doing. Macro? Fast moving birds? Hiking long distances? ...

Just to take the hiking issue: heavy is good in a tripod if you don't have to lug it about much. Heavy adds to the stability which is why you want a tripod. Heavy is also cheaper.

A good read on tripod prices can be found at http://www.bythom.com/support.htmThom might be talking out of your price bracket, but the point about not going cheap is still right on. A good tripod will outlast several cameras and lenes, a bad one will just clutter your closet.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 2:53 AM   #3

Thanks Bill for your help, it is wildlife/birds that il be using it for mostly and sturdier the better il take a look at link you gave. regards.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:24 AM   #4

barkerlass

jessops have some good priced tripods, from lightweight small ones to taller heavy ones

i got a very nice sturdy one from them with quickrelease head and a carry bag with shoulder stap for about £30

jessops are on most high streets now..............argos sell em as well but u cant look n touch before u buy
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:40 AM   #5

Thanks i will give them a look. regards.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 9:53 AM   #6

barkerlass wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bill for your help, it is wildlife/birds that il be using it for mostly and sturdier the better il take a look at link you gave. regards.
Well, if you are going to use the tripod with any frequency, you have two choices:

1. Buy a good quality tripod/head now

2. Buy a cheap tripod now and replace it a year or two down the road with a good tripod/head

I think something like the Bogen 3011 legs with 486RC2 ballhead or even the Grip Action ballhead (don't recallmodel number)might be a great start. I personally pushed up to the 3021Bpro leges with 488RC4 ballhead. Total cost was about $250 USD I think - but it's a very stable setup. A little heavy on a hike but to get this stability with a lighter load you're looking at carbon fiber which doubles the cost of the legs. I would advise getting a setup that has double the load capacity of your current camera/lens. That will give you some stability and room to grow.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:46 AM   #7

Thanks for your help, i will look up these models you have mentioned. finally are the pan/tilt heads ok or are the ballhead type preferable? regards.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:54 AM   #8

Pan/tilt vs. ballhead.

It's a matter of preference to a large degree. I prefer ballhead because of the quickness to set up - especially for wildlife you may not want to/ have time to play with 3 different locking mechanisms. The downside is from a stability standpoint a ballhead will cost more than a pan/tilt with the same load baring capability.

With that in mind though, I also suggest a ballhead with a separate panning lock. So you can still pan left/right if you want without loosening tension on the ballhead.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:53 PM   #9

Thank you once again for your help and advise, greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:19 PM   #10

I agree with JohnG's outline of ball vs 3 axis heads. The three axis is very nice for contemplative landscape photography, but it does take some time to get it just right. I likea three axishead - a view not shared by many. Do not eventhink ofa two axis head, they are meantfor movie/video cameras and combine the worst aspects of both a ball head and a three axis head.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote