Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:44 PM   #1

Used mostly for taking pics of my daughter sitting on the floor, indoors with low light.* So I need to get closer to the floor, if not laying on the floor.* Also, will use of course for outdoor landscape and macro with zoom telephoto lens.* So I need to flexibilty to get close to the ground and at full extension, use a zoom lens.* I was initially looking at a Slik Sprint Pro but I read a post that someone said this is for a light weight camera.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:03 AM   #2

For the 'on the floor' pics - I would recommend a bean bag style support over a tripod. Infinitely easier to set up, takes up less space and you'll get lower. It's precicely the type of photography a beanbag was made for.

As for an outdoors tripod, there are a couple of questions:

1. What is your budget

2. You say landscape and macro, but do you intend to hike with it? That will drive us towards whether weight is a factor which will drive us towards a more expensive tripod solution.

Let us know the answers to the above and we can give you some suggestions.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3

Weight is not a concern.* I would not hike for long distances if taking a camera.* *Of course, the cheaper the better, but I do not want a Wal Mart special.* It would be nice to have a ball head, minimum height of around 5-8 inches for taking pics of my daughter, decent maximum height (I am 6'5"), for no more than 150 dollars.* I like the Manfrotto 3021BN and the 488RC4 ball head, but that pushes the budget over $250. Any other suggestions?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:51 AM   #4

Gobucks,

I was hoping some other wise soul would jump in to help you out. I'm inclined to think that if budget is a constraint - buy a good pair of legs and an average 3-way pan-tilt. The 3-way will give you more stability than a cheap ball head and you can always upgrade the head in the future without scrapping everything. If you buy cheap legs and are shooting outdoors you just won't have any stability

Here's one suggestion for the Bogen 3011 legs with 3029 head for $154:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Another option is the 3001 legs - they have less load bearing but they have different leg positions which would allow you to get the tripod lower:

The 3021 with a 3047 head for $170 if you want to stretch the budget

I'm sure there are other examples from other manufacturers but my experience is with Bogen so that's all I can recommend.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote