Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:03 PM   #1

I thought I knew how tripods work! My father had one, I had two before and I never saw another person swirl their camera to put it on a tripod. So today I bought a tripod with alright price, weight, stability, ballhead and height. At home I find out that I have to turn the whole tripod like a huge screwdriver to mount the camera or rotate the camera. Now I am like - did I miss something? :O
I expected a tiny wheel below the plate like beans in the coffee so I was not looking for it! I can remove the whole head which might be a plus. I donĀ“t see much detail on the photos of online stores so my question is if I bought the biggest crap and should try to bring it back to the store or is that a common thing? And what would be the correct name for a head where the tripod rests on the ground and I can hold the camera still and fasten that little wheel?
Any help much appreciated! :O
pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:20 AM   #2

Put a quick release system on top of the ball-head. A small plate bolts to your camera and this slides into a set of rails on the tripod. Some ballheads have these built-in but you can get them seperate. Get a release plate for each camera body and lens that you attach to the tripod and you'll never swivel again.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3

Thank you Jacks! Meanwhile I am screwing the middle part of the tripod while the rest sits on the floor, not too safe or elegant either. Thank you for the tip with the seperate plate!
pixelstuff is offline   Reply With Quote