Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:39 PM   #1

I am looking at the Bogen/Monfotto 3021Pro legs with the 488 Midi Ball head. What is getting me confused is which Rapid connect system if any to purchase? I see three different sytems #2, #0, & #4 all are about the same price. I use a Nikon D70 with a 70-300ED, and SB800 and am planning on purchasing the 80-400VR.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:25 AM   #2

I'm pretty sure one difference between the '2' and '4' head is the '4' has 2 spirit levels on it so you can set a level by just adjusting the ball head rather than the legs. Can't help you with where the '0' fits into the equation though.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:51 AM   #3

The #0 seems to be hexagon shaped, and the other two square. I just do know if there is any big advantage to one over the other. The #4 system looks like its the lowest profile, but can't really tell much from the pictures. Very Confusing?

Wondering is one type more secure, easier to lock down, which is best to leave on the camera without getting in the way?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:20 PM   #4

I have no idea what the numbers refer to (B&H doesn't use those numbers), but I started using the Bogen hex quick release to hold a 4x5" view camera.Have kept on using with much smaller camerasinstead of buying new stuff. Solid - and overkill for anything but one of the really long lenses that aremore like a small telescope.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

Thank you, I have the links from B&H perhaps they have changed what they call them. The Hex version looked sturdy. So I guess it wouldn't have trouble with a D70 with a 80-400VR someday. By they way, do you usually leave the mounting plate on the camera or do you remove it when you will be handholding? I am just wondering how much it gets in the way handholding?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:23 AM   #6

If I am carrying my tripod or monopod, the quick release foot stays on the camera- seems to me that is the whole point of having it. Doesn't seem to get in the way, but if I am carrying a `pod, I am not often doing a whole bunch of hand held shots.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:44 PM   #7

Understood, I was just thinking of other times when you aren't using the tripod. Sometimes I just go walking in the Glades, sans Monopod or much else. Didn't know if you left it on then. Sounds like you would remove it for walkabout photography. That was what I was wondering about with the more low profile mounts, if they could just be installed and forgotten.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:33 PM   #8

Jim,

Don't know the specs on those lenses, but typically with a longer lens you mount on the lens not the camera body. Smaller lenses yes, but I would think at least the 80-400 should be mounted via a collar on the lens. So, unless you want to buy multiple mounting plates (which some folks do) then you remove.

In fact, if I intend to handold my Sigma 70-200 2.8 I remove the tripod collar ahead of time (although strangely enough I leave it on my 100-400 - the ergonomics of it are different so it isn't in the way like it is on the 70-200).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:27 PM   #9

Bogen 3021BN $145.00
Bogen / Manfrotto 486RC2 w/quick release Supports 13.2 lb @ $61.95
or
Bogen / Manfrotto 488RC2 w/quick release Supports 17.6 lb @ $95.95

I'd suggest looking into the Arca-style style quick release system its the best of all systems.

If you want to get a different quick release system you get the ball head with out its quick release.and a Quick Release System from Really Right Stuff, Kirk or Acratech for $75.00 - $100.00

Bogen / Manfrotto 486 @ $53.95
or
Bogen / Manfrotto 488R @ $78.95

Camera Plates for about $55.00 each.

So for about $400.00 you can get a nice setup to carry up to 13lbs on the legs and up to 17lbs on the ball head. Spend a little more on the tripod legs for lighter or stronger but that depends on your needs. The ball head and quick release should be enough for quite a load.

jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 3:54 AM   #10

http://db.manfrotto.com/product/temp...amp;itemid=315

I use the Product Code:323-Bogen code (USA only):3299
COMPACT QUICK-RELEASE ADAPTOR w/PLATE

class=descriptionUltra flat quick release adaptor, only 18mm, with 1/4" or 3/8" thread.

just screws onto my tripod and I have extra plate(rectangle) for the vidcam.

I leave the plates on for the quick setup of tripod.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote