Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:33 PM   #1

Saw this unique minipod on various sites that I visit...such as DL.TV...

http://www.joby.com/products.html

Would like to have more info before I buy one...it may solve some issues that my UltraPod doesn't...
jhallgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:55 PM   #2

With a maxium weight of 12.5oz. not much but pocket cameras will be able to use this.
pclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:45 AM   #3

Bumping this to see if during the interim period if anyone has gotten one of these...
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:02 PM   #4

I recently got one. I really like it, it's small and very light, perfect for the ultra-compacts and travelling. You can attach it to almost anything. I was worried about having to find things that are high enough, since you generally don't want to take pics from the ground. But to my surprise there is almost always something the Gorillapod cangrab on to: a tree, a post, a door handle, rail, fence, frame, lamp, etc.I came across a hook on a wall, one leg can hang on to it while theother two push up against the wall, itreally looks like a little gorilla. Very flexible and bendable. And as a tripod, its rubberized feet and joints makes it able to adapt to any surface, like rocks or even slippery slanted surfaces. I like the detachable clip too, very clever.

Does it show that I like it? :roll:
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:15 PM   #5

Just noticed they now have a GorillaPod SLR!?

http://www.joby.com/

I just came back from a trip with the gorillapod and it worked out really great for travelling with the compact cam. I don't think I've ever been includedthis much in vacation photos without looking like a big nosed dope (extended arm w/ wide angle).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:35 PM   #6

I hadn't bought it as I wanted to actually see one...well, today I was in my local Best Buy and they had one in stock! The original one, which is fine for my P&S, was a reasonable $22.99 (plus $1.61 sales tax here) so total was $24.60...which is just about same price as found on-line, as far as I've seen...so bought it!

Haven't tried it yet, but package is not sealed so I was able to see how it flexes/moves and it seems very promising! Will update this when I've had some usage...
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:31 PM   #7

I went looking for a GorillaPod, in CircuitCityI found a Sunpak PicturePlus Flexpod for $19.99. I guess it is a copy of a GorillaPod.

I got it because I needed it for a backpack trip that weekend. Having never seen a GorillaPod in person, I can't say how the build quality compares.The Felxpodworked fine with my Canon A710 balancing it on odd shaped rocks.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:04 PM   #8

I wasn't aware of that Flexpod item before this...so looked at pix online atCircuitCity.com, etc...yes, it looks very similar to GorillaPod and a bit cheaper, but I think I'll keep the G-P as the diff isn't worth the effort to swap.
Old May 17, 2007, 12:43 PM   #9

Get the GP... it works great and can be wrapped around a tree trunk
The quick release works fine... I even use in the house for mickey mouse set ups... like copying an old slide.... just pop in you pocket. Get the SLR model and it will work for both

Look online, I got mine pretty cheap buying direct
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:19 PM   #10

In the limited amount of time I've had mine, I found a couple of problems...minor, but posting here to make others aware:

1) The quick release plate, no matter how I align it,just coversenough of the battery cover on my Coolpix 2200 so that it can't be opened...so I decided to leave plate attached to the GP and just screw it inwhen I need it.
2) When I was hanging the camera from a tree branch, sothat I could take a self-pix in portrait mode, and camera was thus not pressing down on GP, but sorta sticking out sideways, itkept drooping slowly a bit so I ended up putting cameraat angle so that by time self-timer finished, ithad droopedback to level.