Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:18 AM   #1

Which one would you choose for Fuji S9000/S9500? I Will be doing general photography and some macro pics. Tripodlightness or small size when packed is not a factor. I just want to choose the onewhich is more steady and of better general quality.

I know there are many other pods out there, but these two are readily available where I live and the their price is the max I will be willing topayat this point.

I would also appreciate any comments from the owners of these two pods, have you been happy with your choice?

Foul ole Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

You camera is light so most any would do you well but between those 2 I'd select the Manfrotto 714b with a nice little ball head.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:09 AM   #3

I believe the Manfrotto comes with a fixed ball head, whereas the Slik has replaceable one. Something to consider?

Anyway, I will go to the stores with the cam to try them on for size. What's a good and proper way to test stability? Is it just a case ofgeneral feeling of the pod or maybe comparing it with a more expensive model? I guess with experience you develop a feel for this sort of thing.

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:45 PM   #4

Quite true but these were the two you mentioned Manfrotto 714b or Slik Sprint Pro.

So with your mention of possibly replacing the ball head.

While the camera you have now is quite light and a different ball head most likely wouldn't do much for you.

Now something to consider I'm trying to assume you may get another camera later lets say its heaver also, the two tripods your looking at now are rated with a max. load of around 4.5 lbs. - 5 lbs. if you bought one of the tripods above you'd want to get another at this point.

The above mentioned ones will be at their limits which isn't going to give you the stability your after. So to save you money in the long run I'd look into some other options now rather than later so you only buy a tripod once.

Maybe something like any one of theManfrotto 3001, 3021 series tripods about $50 - $60 more than you are planning on spending now but you'll only be doing it once and have something that will support 11 - 13 lbs.and if you want a different ball head maybe something like a Bogen Manfrotto 484 Mini Ball Head for a light 8.8 lb load of if you think you may get something later that needs more support try a Bogen Manfrotto 486 which has a Maximum Load Capacity of 13.2 lbs.

Thinking ahead will save later old tripods just sit inthe corner ofthe closet never to be used.

Just my opnion to try and help you save some money later.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

I have theSlik Sprint Pro and I like it because of the light weight and small size, I added a quick release with a couple of plates for my cams. If you will have a heavier camera then get a heavier tripod, but i wanted small and easy to carry. Works perfect for my S1IS.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 4:06 AM   #6

Thanks for your advice, jtgraphics, I certainly appreciate it. Your suggestion makes sense, in case I do decide to dive deeper into the world of cameras. I will have to look intowhich models are available here and how much they cost locally.

At the moment it seems that the current camera will fill my needs for many years, so I am therefore reluctant to spend more money than necessary. But we will see.

Pagerboy, you're happy with the durability and material quality of the Slik then?