Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:03 AM   #1

My wife wants to use my new Nikon D50 for taking photos of the beads she sells at her online shop, and so we are looking for a not too expensive tripod she can use.

Optimally the tripod would allow straight down shooting or at very steep angles. What kind of tripods offer this? When looking for a tripod, what key words in the description do I look for that will tell me this can be done? I have for example seen a Velbon 600R that says the center post is invertable, and it sounds to me like this would let me mount the camera under the legs, and presumably also facing downwards.

Thanks!

Steve, Denmark
sti_sti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 1:48 AM   #2

The tripod I'd suggest to you is the Manfrotto 3021BPRO tripod its priced nicely at about $145.00 and does what you want.

To see the specs. go here http://www.bogenimaging.us/and search 3021BPRO

The 3021BPRO has an easily removeable center column that doubles as a horizontal arm.

This will get you your stright down shots
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:12 AM   #3

Thanks jtgraphics,

your suggestion looks very nice indeed, but only two problems with it: apparently it is not available in Denmark where I live, after doing an extensive Google search. Also, it would be a bit more expensive than I would like to spend.

Purchasing from the US and sending here is out of the question; would be prohibitively expensive due to customs and the Danish VAT. So I am limited to buying within the EU.

But the idea of a center post that can be mounted horizontally sounds great. Are there any other suggestions? Perhaps something else is available here in Denmark and for a bit less money.

Thanks,

Steve, Denmark
Old Mar 21, 2006, 2:27 PM   #4

Look at this one:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/BEN107C_-...productID=1564

It's a bit ofa pain to get used to setting it up, but when you get used to it you can set it up very quickly at almost any position.

HTH

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:21 PM   #5

Couple of placces to look in your part of the world

Light Partner ApS
Application market

DK-7400 Herning

Lighting

Tjorringparken 3

Phone number:004597269600

Fax number:004597269699

Email address:
[email protected]

www.lightpartner.dk

Tura Scandinavia ab
Application market

Allerod

Camera Photo

Camera Video

Lighting

Klovervej 14

Phone number:004548187881

Fax number:004548187882

Email address:
[email protected]

www.turascandinavia.com
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:06 PM   #6

How heavy is the camera with the lens? That will make some of the decision easier.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 1:05 AM   #7

Hi,

My camera is a Nikon D50 and currently the lens is a lightweight kit zoom (18-55mm) so I definitely need a tripod that can handle an SLR, not a lightweigth P&S camera.

Thanks for the links, jtgraphics, I already found the second one (Tura) and tried to browse their website but the website seems to be nonfunctional or at the least extremely slow to respond. After 20 minutes I basically gave up. I might try again some time. I haven't tried the other site yet since their company description says they specifically deal in lighting. I'll look at it today, though. (Edit: Just looked at the links again. The first one deals only with lighting, and so the Manfrotti products they sell are light stands, not camera tripods. The second one (Tura) now has a functioning website, but apparently they are a wholesale distributor, not a retailer. For example there are no prices to be found on their site, and it is doubtful that they would sell to an individual).

And thanks, Algold, for the link. This model also looks like it would suit us. Although again, Benbo is a brand that I have not yet seen in Denmark, but I will have a look today.

Has anyone tried the Velba 600R?

Thanks for all the good help!

Regards,

Steve, Denmark

Old Apr 14, 2006, 10:41 AM   #8

I really like my Gitzo Exploerer G2220 with its tilting center pole. It can easily go from vertical to horizontal by simply loosening a screw and tilting.

I know this response is kind of late but I hope it sill helps.

Enloy life!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2006, 9:03 AM   #9

Search for a Slik 1200G-QL. It is a discontinued model, but it does what you want.The center post is offset, so all you do to go 90° is loosen a wing nut and tilt the center column.As an added bonus, the ceneter column comes off to make a nice monopod. It was recommended by Herbert Keppler at Popular Photography. I used it with my Maxxum 9000. It is not a heavyweight, but it works.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote