Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Tripods and Heads (

kriss Mar 28, 2006 3:22 AM

can anyone please suggest me a tripod (not a mini tripod ) for CANON S2 IS?I want it to be sturdy and easy to carry,for something around 35$.
Thank You

kriss Apr 3, 2006 7:10 PM

commom guys....suggest me something...I'm waiting for your replies.....

BillDrew Apr 3, 2006 8:34 PM

You will not find what you want. Tripods are sturdy, light, cheap: pick any two of those. For $35 you are going to get something that is about as light as a pile of cast iron drain pipes, or will be sturdy enough to hold your camera up until you turn your back - when it drops it lens first onto a rock.

Mercury694 Apr 3, 2006 10:42 PM

Bill is right, If your budget only allows $35, you couldlook into a camcorder tripod. They are generally more stable and support more weight. In that price range, you will be hard pressed to find a light one so I'd instead look for a strong/stable one- better a sore back than a broken camera. Personally, I would not buy one online, I prefer to set it up, try to tip it over, check that it is sturdy enough to take some abuse and that the operating gear isn't loose. Most will collapse well enough to carry easily, and even a fairly heavy tripod isn't generally that cumbersome. Good luck!

kriss Apr 8, 2006 10:00 AM

Thank you Bill Drew and Mercury for your suggestions. Could you please suggest what would be the ideal tripod to buy?But I don't want it to be heavy,so that I can carry it around.

E.T Apr 16, 2006 12:52 PM

BillDrew wrote:

Tripods are sturdy, light, cheap: pick any two of those.
Definitely... For example one cheap Giottos which should handle 3kg/6lb weight according to them causes horizon to tilt even with KM A2 and batterygrip weighting ~1kg. Sure it's light but that's about it... Like it's said, cheap and good mean two different things.

I bought Cullman's tripod which carries 3.5kg (just half kg more than Giottos statement) according to them and it's couple steps sturdier, also that models has separate center column which can be used as monopod which is much lighter to carry when there isn't need for time exposures.
(already that would definitely help much with long tele in not so bright daylight)