Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old May 12, 2006, 2:14 PM   #1

I'm planning on buying a tripod for my boyfriend, for his birthday. However, I have limited knowledge of tripods, and would like some help in selecting something. Some background: My boyfriend is an amateur photographer. He prefers black and white photography, and likes shooting a variety of subjects, including people and landscape. He also enjoys making short movies with a camcorder. He has a Nikon digital camera (I don't remember the model number, but it's a typical consumer camera). And he has a really nice 35mm SLR, which he has had for many, many years. I don't know the model on that either.

After browsing around here, and around the internet, I'm currently looking at getting the Bogen 3021 legs (my boyfriend is over 6 feet tall, so I want the taller set). I have noticed there are two types: the 3021N, and the 3021BPRO. What is the difference between the two legs? Which would be better to get?

As for the head, I've been looking at the Bogen 3030, 3047, or the 322RC2. I don't know if I should get a pan/tilt, or a ballhead. And I'm not sure which one to get for him.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions, comments, and explanations to help me decide. I've only got about 3 weeks until his birthday, so I need to settle on something soon!
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2006, 5:34 PM   #2

The 3021 is a nice tripod, the Pro model is more flexible because you can mount the center column horizontally for odd shots. Might be a nice feature to have. The tripod comes in black or silver, most people prefer black.

I dont know about the head, for the camcorder you'd probably want a pan/tilt though. To get a really good ballhead, you'll spend $300-$500. I havent heard very good things about the cheap ballheads, but for some people they probably work just fine.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 8:46 AM   #3

Dani24 wrote:
Quote:
I'm planning on buying a tripod for my boyfriend, for his birthday. However, I have limited knowledge of tripods, and would like some help in selecting something. Some background: My boyfriend is an amateur photographer. He prefers black and white photography, and likes shooting a variety of subjects, including people and landscape. He also enjoys making short movies with a camcorder. He has a Nikon digital camera (I don't remember the model number, but it's a typical consumer camera). And he has a really nice 35mm SLR, which he has had for many, many years. I don't know the model on that either.

After browsing around here, and around the internet, I'm currently looking at getting the Bogen 3021 legs (my boyfriend is over 6 feet tall, so I want the taller set). I have noticed there are two types: the 3021N, and the 3021BPRO. What is the difference between the two legs? Which would be better to get?

As for the head, I've been looking at the Bogen 3030, 3047, or the 322RC2. I don't know if I should get a pan/tilt, or a ballhead. And I'm not sure which one to get for him.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions, comments, and explanations to help me decide. I've only got about 3 weeks until his birthday, so I need to settle on something soon!
This would be a nice combo, it seems to be the favorite of a lot of people.This ball head will support his camera and lens nicely. B&H is also a reputable web/mail order dealer. If he gets a camcorder, any Bogen/Manfrotto pan head will fit the tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...320&is=REG
cope is offline   Reply With Quote