Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:35 PM   #1

Default Experiences on Sony Mavica CD500 camera & accessories

Hello,

I would like to hear if anyone has any comments concerning the new Sony Mavica MVC-CD500 digital camera. Also I'm very interested in experiences with the Sony's lenses and other accessories aswell. The camera would come to serve in various situations anywhere from landscape and larger views photographing into even some occational macro-shooting, and everything in between.

The .pdf brochure of this camera (provided at Sonystyle.com website) lists in the optional accessories list VCT-D680RM Remote Control Tripod and VCT-R640 Lightweight Tripod, but are the VCT-D480 and VCT-580 also compatible with this camera and can all of these tripods control the camera's most important actions? .. and what exatcly can be controlled by the tripods, and is the camera easy to mount on these tripods without any extra adaptors? Does anyone have any experience with these Sony's own and quite expensive tripods or are they just a waste of money?

Also I'd like to know does the VCT-R640 Lightweight Tripod have these controls for the camera, and why is it called "lightweight" cause according to Sony's website it's more heavier than all the VCT-D480/580/680 models?

My other question relates to the wide angle and telephoto lenses. The brochure lists only VCL-DEH07V Hi-grade Wide Angle Conversion Lens and VCL-DEH17V Hi-grade Telephoto Conversion Lens as compatible, but I've come across at online-shops to such lens like (for example) Sony VCL-MHG07A, Sony VCL-ES 06 A, Sony VCL-ES 20 A, Sony VCL-R 2052 which appear to be compatible for this camera model? Atleast they are seldomly listed in the "accessories" for this camera model.

Another questions of my is that how much do these extra lenses (for example VCL-DEH07V and VCL-DEH17V) affect the quality of photographs taken, and should I buy the VAD-S70 Conversion Lens Adaptor also when purchasing for example these two lenses mentioned above or do they fit without any adaptors?

Also I'd like to inquire any experience with the Sony's MVC 4 camera bag. I'm thinking of buying it alongside the accessories pack (MVCD2) which comes with the bag, extra battery and 3x CD-RW dics.

My last questions concerns HVL-F1000 External Flash. Does the flash need any outside power (battery, etc) or is it simply hooked on the camera and it's all ready? And does one need to purchase any cables or optional accessories to get the flash in working condition ?

All my questions would concern the European model of this camera, if there is one made and sold separately (which I doubt cause the "USA model" CD-500 has a user selectable NTSC/PAL option for the outputted video, which hints it's the same as the European version).

Thanks for all the information in forehand!

Milan Kolarovic
Acumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2003, 12:18 PM   #2

the basic functionality of the controller on the tripod is the usual "L" type. zoom and shoot. as far as their list price thats not so bad. they don't make them . but you could spend the same amount and get a much better tripod/ head for the money these days.

sony always attempts "integration" with their products. memorystick slots in their TVs. controllers on theit tripods. they want you to buy a package that says sony all over it. no other manufacturer makes a cdrw type camera nor does any other manufacturer use their memorysticks.

the cdrw sound like a inexpensive way to shoot. the camera has much more moving parts then most others due to the spinning media and laser head. you risk more write errors then on any other type of media. at 156MB they arent very large. at full resolution yuo'll be buying a few extra for trips. they are life limited on rewrites compared to any other type of media too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:18 PM   #3

Quote:
the cdrw sound like a inexpensive way to shoot. the camera has much more moving parts then most others due to the spinning media and laser head. you risk more write errors then on any other type of media. at 156MB they arent very large. at full resolution yuo'll be buying a few extra for trips. they are life limited on rewrites compared to any other type of media too.
The off brand mini cdrw are a better way to go.
1. they're cheaper
2. They hold more. 193-200 mb vs 156 mb
3.cdrw can be reused several hundred times before they no longer work.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2003, 3:42 PM   #4

they can be rewritten many times yes but no where near that of a quality CF card
slowest writes yes
and still more prone to failure
more fragile yes
Old Apr 27, 2003, 5:26 PM   #5

[quote="macleod76"]
Quote:
The off brand mini cdrw are a better way to go.
1. they're cheaper
2. They hold more. 193-200 mb vs 156 mb
3.cdrw can be reused several hundred times before they no longer work.
I've just never seen those off brand (Sony) mini CD-RW discs sold here in Europe, but they sure sound interesting and a lot cheaper than the original ones.

Also to comment on the CD-R/RW issue - the reason why I'm considering buying a Mavica CD line camera is that with it you don't need any CF- or other cardreaders, or to plug your camera with the USB to be able to transfer the images and empty your memory cards to be re-used. Plus I've never heard or experienced any problems due to the more complex technology because of the CD-writer installed with'in the camera. Atleast the previous Mavica CD models have a reputation of being solid build and very good durability.

Also the photo guality of the Sony's digicams is one of the best, and has always been highly valued in almost every review I've seen, that I'm quite convinced that Sony is the brand for me.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 6:12 PM   #6

with all due respect all i've heard on this side of the atlantic is of repair issues in the cd line of their cameras.

the reason you don't hear much is the apeal to a limited market.

i guess if you are going to get only 1 camera and will not need to go beyond that one its a great idea. just remember 156MB at highest res/quality isn't that many images. buy thinking about not dealing with CF which is the most used memory in digital imaging you have cornered yourself.

i don't understand your aversion to CF or any type of memory device. you say you don't having to dump the pictures off to a hd or larger cd. i take it you don't do much editing.

hey, if thats what you want there it is. my experience has led me down a different path. i hope you enjoy it when you get it
Old Apr 27, 2003, 6:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjms
with all due respect all i've heard on this side of the atlantic is of repair issues in the cd line of their cameras.
The reason you don't hear much is the apeal to a limited market.
Thanks for the info. Atleast the previous generation CD Mavicas that I've handled have worked out well after years of extensive use, but then again - even cameras are individuals and some last longer than others.

Quote:
i guess if you are going to get only 1 camera and will not need to go beyond that one its a great idea. just remember 156MB at highest res/quality isn't that many images. buy thinking about not dealing with CF which is the most used memory in digital imaging you have cornered yourself.
Well, the CF could be acceptable, but I'm fond of Sony's digicams, and the only reasonable priced media for them is the mini CD-R/RW. I've thought about F717 but the high cost of Memorysticks is a bit too much for me (in Europe the new MS Pro 512 costs around 350-400 $).

You're right by saying 156mb cd isn't a lot, but when you have a handfull of these lowcost cd-rw's in your backpocket, it comes a (imho) good choice for lowcost photography with easy to access media storage for the photos.

Plus one thing which is important for me is that you only need a PC with a standard CD-drive to temporarily move the pictures for further editing/transfer at a photoshoot location, and then you're all set with another set of photos to fill up the erased cd-rw's.

Quote:
i don't understand your aversion to CF or any type of memory device. you say you don't having to dump the pictures off to a hd or larger cd. i take it you don't do much editing.
On the contrary, I do a lot of editing - but the easy to access media is what fonds me. You don't have to have anything except a PC with cd-drive to transfer the photos temporarily, and you're set for a new photoshoot session. After the day you can burn all the images to normal 650/700mb CD-rw's and the costs of shooting are the lowest possible.

I've also looked for other camera models and brands, but the thing about CD Mavicas and Sony in general that fonds me is that they seem to have a very solid and good reputation for photo quality. That naturally comes before the issues of storage media (etc). The cd-rw media is only a "plus" in the overall value/cup.

Also one thing I'm afraid of is that after endind up buying expensive memory cards for one camera, when moving on to the next camera you have to buy a whole another set of memory cards cause the next camera might not use that particular type of memory cards or that particular memory card type has become obsolete and isn't supported anymore.

I guess I've just used CD Mavicas for too long, and have a hard time coming terms with the idea of paying half the price of the camera for a decent amount of the storage media.

Quote:
hey, if thats what you want there it is. my experience has led me down a different path. i hope you enjoy it when you get it
Thanks mate .. but like I said - I'm still on the lookout for other camera models/brands aswell, so keep those constructive comments and ideas coming

Milan
Old Apr 29, 2003, 8:38 AM   #8

you mentioned having to purchasing cards for your camera. going outside the rather propriatary world of sony would open up a substantially wider vista of products for your wats and needs.

compactflash cards command about 80%+ of the memory marketplace for digital imaging in the world. it is the defacto standard of the "professional" camera market.

essentially if you wanted/needed to sell some older CF cards (which i have done about 4x in the past few months and then it took only a few days for a buyer to show with money) it is easier then any other type of media currently available.

even going to somether types such as memsticks, xD or SD have adapters to plug into the "baseline" CF reader.

just something to think about
Old Apr 29, 2003, 5:31 PM   #9

Quote:
even going to somether types such as memsticks, xD or SD have adapters to plug into the "baseline" CF reader.
just something to think about
It sure is something to think about, and that's why I'm not buying any cards in the first place, only mini cd-rw's for the camera (Sony CD500) which cost approx. 1$ piece, and one won't even require so many of them (plus their contents are easy to transfer/copy, and they are re-usable for hundreds of times).

I know that the CF is a standard, and if I'd go for a full blown SLR I'd choose the new Canon D10 which I think uses CF.. and if there's something I wouldn't choose in a million years - that would be the memorysticks, and that's why I'm not going for a Sony F7x7 product line, or other which use memory cards. There are so many other issues which lean my scale towards the new Sony CD500. It's actually (imho) quite cheap when considering that it's a full scale 5megapixel kamera with no doubt excellent image quality just like other Sony's digicams have.

Milan
Old May 15, 2003, 6:53 PM   #10

http://steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/cd500.html

now I wish I would have waited. :x
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote