Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

I need to get a tripod. I would like it to collapse in a small form factor (to fit in a camera bag would be awesome), be light, and expand relatively tall.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
kellamMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2
rey

What's your budget? And what kind of camera do you have? The weight of your camera (and lenses, if DSLR) is an issue. I suggest you look online (like bhphotovideo.com) for something that fits your budget and your camera's weight.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:15 PM   #3

I don't have it yet, but I will be getting a Nikon D200. I'm going to eventually want to use it with some night phtography and a super telephoto lens for wildlife photos. I don't mind paying for quality. I've been sorry in the past and do not want to make that mistake again. I'm pretty much looking for something strong, versatile, light, and mobile.

Thanks for the reply!
kellamMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4
rey

I can't recommend anything from experience, since really good tripods are out of my reach. But it looks like you have the budget for them. I suggest you look at B&H for something in your price range. For Ballheads checkout Really Right Stuff's BH-55

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...rrs-bh55.shtml

Gitzo 1348 w/RRS BH-55 looks like a good combo, but a cheaper Gitzo 1258 w/RRS BH-40 might be good enough. You can easily spend $1000+ on tripod & head combo, it all depends on how serious you are. Just keep in mind you'll probably use this for 5 to 10 years, so it should be worth it if you really are into photography.

My research on this is limited since I can only dream to own them.

Good Luck!

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:23 PM   #5

Super telephotos and outdoor night work need the best tripods.

Forthe legsGitzosor Manfrottos do a good job. Any of the sturdy legs will do the job. But none have good height, strength to support the super telephotos, steady enough for night workand fold down small enough for even the biggest bags.

As for the heads the RRS is good, or Kirk or Swiss but to keep the bulkdownbest support to weight are the Markins. They all cost about the same so it's whatever suits. My advice is to get another set of legs that will go in your bag, for the night shots etc you'll need the heavy stuff, but if it's tough to carry you won't always have it. I have a Culmann magic 2 and yes I know it's not so steady but it's steadier than I can hand holdand it folds flat smaller than A4 and weighs very little. It'sin my big kit bag with a Markins head and has saved me a number of times especially as it also doubles as a monopod.

Good articles here and here
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote