Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:15 AM   #1

I am looking into buying a monopod asap but i have been doing some research on heads. Lets just look at two heads for an example. I want Quick release. Manfrotto makes the 3229(picture on right)for monopods, but why would i not want a ball head(484RC)? it seems that after reading this article http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3it tells me that the best way to stand with a monopod is with the Leg of the pod at a 20 degree angle which would require the head to be adjusted to take a level picture. It seems you could accomplish this with the 3229(on the right), where i am puzzled is how you would accomplish this taking a portrait picture with the 3229. Wouldn't a ball head be better and more versatile?

I am an avid hiker and am looking for a walking stick / mono pod.

Has anyone ever tried the http://www.trek-tech.com/products/product?

How about the Giotto P-Pod? But it only has a head similar to the 3229.

My other option i have been looking at is a manfrotto 680b with the 484RC. Will the Manfrotto hold up to walking stick use?

Any other suggestions for the ultimate walking stick/monopod combo. I am drawn to the trek-tech because of the mini tripod built in.

fullerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:06 PM   #2

I have the P-pod, and while its fluid head is similar to the one on the right in your post, it has a round QR plate instead of a square one and a pointed set screw that engages a v-groove in the plate's circumference. That allows angle adjustment in the vertical position and panning in the horizontal. It's a well thought-out piece of equipment.

Lou

Edit: The P-pod is more than sturdy enough to use as a hiking staff (it supports my 250 lbs. with no problem) and also has the three tripod legs stored in the base.

derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 9:53 PM   #3

which model of p-pod do you have? your making me want the p-pod more and more :G
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:19 AM   #4

This one here, the #5580:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIOTTOS-P-POD-MO...QQcmdZViewItem

Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:58 PM   #5

I ended up going with the P-Pod 5580

B&H had one listed as a Giottos MM-570 but the Manufacturers part number is listed as MH5580. And all the specs listed are for the MH5580. So i contacted B&H and they told me they don't know where they got MM-570 from, that isn't even a valid part number. They assured me it was the MH5580, so I ordered it. Lets just hope the MM-5580 is what they send me. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:03 PM   #6

How did the MH5580 work out for you?
nsbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:00 PM   #7

I did some research and checked out lots of information about monopods. I purchased the carbon fiber 1471 from Feisol - $99.00 - and then purchased a Manfrotto quick release tilt top # 3229 from B&H. The tilt head is the same as the #3232 except the release plate is built in.

The monopod is great and I have had zero issues with it. I am not a small person at over 6' and the height and thicker size of the unit seems to suit me fine. There is no real weight to contend with and the carry case that came with the unit is very nice.

I tried a ball head and found it a real pain to deal with; the tilt head is super and the quick release seems to be doing the job just fine. I use the unit with a 20D and 100-300mm that is not small and so far so good.

The Feisol arrived with zero problems and arrived before the tilt head from B&H did.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=398
alamedasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

IMHO, a ball head is worthless on a monopod. The reason for this is that they provide too many degrees of freedom of motion. With a monopod, you already have an unstable platform that can move side to side or front to back to some degree, and provides full panning capability by itself. What you want on a monopod is a 2 way head that allows you to limit the movements to one axis at a time. A 3 way head adds nothing to this because monopods already offer panning without any head movement, but a 3 way head will still work OK with the pan axis locked.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote