Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:11 PM   #1

I bought once a cheap chinese tripod. For the price it was quite good and sturdy, but then it once broke when i tried to rise the center pylon and obviously forgot to loosen something before it. :sad:

I got enough about cheap tripods and began to look for a better one. I have one cheaper possibility, Manfrotto 390 which costs here about 95 euro and the more expensive choise could be Slik Pro 500DX or 700DX. I have been thinking more about the 700 because it costs only 20 euro more than the 500, something like 170 euro.

I'm just a hobby photographer, but i have some requirements for the tripod. It must be sturdy and the maximum height must be enough so that i don't get back aches because of using the tripod.

So what do you think, would it be for an amateur better solution to pay more and buy a Slik 700 which has more possibilities than the Manfrotto? Or do i waste the money if i pay 75 euro more for the Slik? :?
Welmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

I think it depends on the quality of your lens. For e.g. you have a $5000 tele lens then you need best of sturdy tripod to get the full potential of your lens. But if you have cheap $100 tele lens probably any average tripod(~ $50-100) should be good enough. For in between lens you can decide for yourself.
But I feel its real waste of money to buy cheap ~$30 tripod and break it. I'm also on the lookout for a setup, I have bought kirk BH-1 and planning to buy either Bogen 458B or Gitzo 3140, so that I could get full potential of sigma 120-300mm lens
chhetri_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3

I'll be interested to know what you end up with chhetri. I have a BH-1 on the way, and have yet to decide on a pair of legs. My head hurt from looking at them, so I've taken a few days off to do other things. Supose I should decide soon though.

Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:33 PM   #4

Hi Meiko,
my too is spinning .... there are so many choices ... my mind just keep hoping from one tripod to other just because I'm trying hard to save money on tripod legs. But then back when I think of BH-1, I realise that it doesn't support the weight supported by BH-1.
To make the story short, I'm planning to buy "Gitzo G1340". It supports 22lbs, height is just perfect for me, 3-legs(dont want to consider 4-legs), no centre column, and it's gitzo ... should last for a long time.
do let me know about your choice
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5

Yes I am looking at the 1340 also, and will probably end up with that.

I also am looking at the 1297, I wish there were some reviews on it. The lighter weight and quick relese clamping system looks very nice. Although the lower weight capacity has me a little concerned. The price is comparable to the 1340. I certainly dont want to spend more than that.
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6

what a coincidence ... me too is not ready to go beyond this budget. But I guess I will not go for G1297, I guess I will require around

error margin 3lb
head weight 2lb
camera weight 2lb
lens weight 8lb
weight of my hand when I keep on top of lens while shooting 3lb

so, looking at least 18lb load capacity

that's my mathematic
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:38 AM   #7

I decided to save 200 bucks and hence bought Bogen 3021Pro. Not sure how a sturdy tripod feels like as this is my first tripod. But the setup(with Af-s 300 f/4) looks OK ... not so sturdy neither flimsy. But with shutter speed > 100, and some concentration/technique I'm getting good result.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:19 PM   #8

chhetri_inside wrote:
Quote:
I decided to save 200 bucks and hence bought Bogen 3021Pro. Not sure how a sturdy tripod feels like as this is my first tripod. But the setup(with Af-s 300 f/4) looks OK ... not so sturdy neither flimsy. But with shutter speed > 100, and some concentration/technique I'm getting good result.
I'm considering to by the Manfrotto 055PRO (it's sold as Bogen 3021PRO in the USA) also. May i ask, which head did you buy chhetri? I'm going to take mostly night photos and panoramas, so i think that i'll buy the 804RC2 three-way head.

Welmu
Welmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:30 PM   #9

chhetri_inside wrote:
Quote:
Hi Meiko,
my too is spinning .... there are so many choices ... my mind just keep hoping from one tripod to other just because I'm trying hard to save money on tripod legs. But then back when I think of BH-1, I realise that it doesn't support the weight supported by BH-1.
To make the story short, I'm planning to buy "Gitzo G1340". It supports 22lbs, height is just perfect for me, 3-legs(dont want to consider 4-legs), no centre column, and it's gitzo ... should last for a long time.
do let me know about your choice
Hi Chhetri. I've never owned a tripod, but soon I'll be buying my first one.

You said that your ideal tripoddoes not have a center column. Well that's great, if you're not a tall person. It's great because I understandthatany camera placed way up on a raised center column is in a very precarious and unstable position. So I'd like to stay away from using a centercolumn. But...I"m tall, so I might have to buy a tripod with a center column.

Chhetri, does that mean you are on the short side? Or maybe you're tall and you're buying a tripod that has legs that extend out? Having a tripod where the legs are extendable would eliminate the need for a center column, I think. Please remember that I've never owned a tripod before. But I'm going to buy one soon! (Probrably this week.)
RanchDressing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:21 AM   #10

Hello Welmu ... I have Kirk BH-1 ballhead and find it great. After reading few articles on the we I found that ballheads are easier to use in the field compared to panhead. But again it depends on your subject. If it'sflying/hoping birds you better get some ballhead. Need not go for costly ballhead but some smaller decent ballheads(I see gitzo has some).
I bought BH-1 hoping if my intrest in bird photography become more intense I might get a sigma 500mm HSM lens, but for my AFS 300mm f/4 lens some lighter(I mean lesser load bearing capacity) ballhead should do.