Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Underwater Digital Photography

Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:36 PM   #1

Because I use reading glasses, the use of LCD screens is not handy, either on land or underwater. Putting magnifying lenses in my mask is not a workable solution. Iwant to find a camera/case combination that allows me to use the optical viewfinder to take the photo underwater. Something like my Canon A520 would be great, don't want an SLR or interchangeable lenses. Like Canon dials and Nikon picture quality. What do you suggest?
ACbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2

I'm curious as to why you say magnifying lenses is not a workable solution. I've dived with bi-focal lenses in my mask for many years. If you ccan find them the Aqualung Look mask is available with interchangable lenses in a range of diopters. For the reading lenses they're all a half moon in the lower part of the lens.

I don't think I've seen a housing for a compact camera that allows use of the optical viewfinder.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:18 PM   #3

Hi Ken,
Perhaps I spoke too soon. Inserting lenses into my mask may be my only choice since I don't want to use the LCD when snorkeling. And the Canon case for my Canon A520 camera does permit the use of the optical viewfinder, although it is a tad obscured. I'm going to an optomitrist to try and get the correct diopter lense. How does the -1, -2, etc corresponds to my reading glasses known at the store as 2.00?
Thanks for the mask reference. I may contact them. Ann
Old Sep 6, 2006, 4:58 AM   #4

Reading glasses are usually + so your glasses are probably +2.00. Some optomitrists will make lenses for diving masks which are bonded to the mask lens. Aqualung used to make + lenses for the look mask although they were always harder to find than the - lenses. This UK store advertises them http://www.divingshop.com/Shop/ShopP...ProductId=1972I can't find a US store but hopefully you'll have more luck.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:10 PM   #5

Ok. Sure. The minus diopters are for those who can only see up close.... my son is like that. I forgot about them. I will keep looking for + choices. I really appreciate your help. In Nov I'm going on a snorkel only trip to Heron IS and on a liveaboard in the Great Barrier Reef with a naturalist so that's why this is so important. And if you haven't been, I can heartily recommend the Seychelles Islands. Water is clear and calm in the right season and fish are very abundant. Happy diving. Ann