Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1

Greetings.

My name is John, and I have a photography addiction

(insert "Hi John" here fromother members of the support group here)

I joined Steves back in 2004 a few months after getting my first DSLR camera and returning to semi-serious photography after a decade away.

Soon afterwards I developed a passion for sports photography and have been following that for the last 3+ years. A couple years ago I started a side business in sports photography to pay for my addiction.

I have a wife, Erin, whom I've been married to for 8+ years and a son, Connor who is almost 2 years old. I, myself am 37 years old. Over the years I've had numerous hobbies including skiing, scuba, backpacking, spelunking, martial arts. With the arrival of my son, the rest have gone away for a while and photography is really the only hobby I can squeeze in right now.

Over the years I've belonged to many different on-line forums, but Steves is definitely my favorite. It is, for the most part, a friendly place. Those who want to argue and snipe dont tend to last long here and the majority of folks are genuinely interested in photography and happy to help one another out. So as you join our forum, I hope you'll stay past your initial posts and continue to learn and teach here.

Welcome to the support group, er I mean forum!

John

And, just to put a face to a name - this is a shot of me, Erin & Connor from this past Christmas:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2

Hi John,

Nice to associate a face with a name. I'd take a picture of myself and post it as my avatar but I'm afraid I'd break a lens:G.

Anyways, I've read many of your fine posts and suggestions and look forward to reading more.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:08 PM   #3

Nice to put a face with the name. I see you're in Ohio too, GO BUCKEYES!

:G

-Billy
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

John, I think I have seen a couple of your posts and you seem to have a bit of a passion for this game!!

Great to see you and the family, I think I've seen you and your son before but never your wife. I'm glad that you still have the time for photography and post here, you are a great help to many of us. Also, it is probably 90% your fault that I join you in the support group and have the kit that I shoot with!!!! Not complaining, you have got to love the mkIII and 120-300 combo!

Keep on doing what you do and Steve's will bea good place.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5

John G your knowldge of sports photography is similar above and beyond what I have found with anyone else I have chatted with so you. Your williness to share it with others (as you did for me twice) really shows how much you enjoy what you do. One of your posts to me had to have been 2 or 3 pages long. You gave me a great grounding and the info I needed.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks for all the hours you spend helping make this forum great and sharing your knowledge. Which I could return the favors to you (need to know anything about fire-rescue photography.....).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Cute family. Thanks for all your time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:48 PM   #6
Administrator

Wow John I had no idea you were so young. Your expertise in sports photography had me thinkin you were retired. Great job, nice family, thanks for sharing with all of us.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:55 PM   #7
Super Moderator

steve wrote:
Quote:
Wow John I had no idea you were so young. Your expertise in sports photography had me thinkin you were retired. Great job, nice family, thanks for sharing with all of us.
Subtext should read "John you sound like an old man when you post!!!" :blah::homey::G:?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 3:20 PM   #8

Thanks for that Mark :blah:

Steve - thanks for the compliment (I think).

As one of my martial arts masters used to say "practice makes permanent - it doesn't make perfect". So, just because you've done something for a long time doesn't mean you've done it right.

I put a concerted effort into practicing my craft and seeking out honest feedback from accomplished and professional sports shooters. The ones actually having to make a living off their work. Someone who just does it for a hobby - may or may not be doing a good job. Without seeking critical feedback you never know when you're doing something wrong. It's a little bruising to the ego, but well worth it.

That's the beauty of the internet now - you can find gurus out there to give you that honest feedback. I learned more in one year doing that than I learned in10 years of doing photography on my own as a hobby.

Not coincidentally I learned more from that martial arts master in an hour than I did in months working with other less demanding instructors who just let me skate by with bad habits.

That's the approach I used when I taught martial arts and it's the approach I use when I mentor people in my IT job and it's the approach I take to photography. After the initial ego bruising most people honestly interested in what they're doing appreciate honest feedback (as long as you tell them how to improve and do so in a constructive way). Unfortunately, some people dont want that - and thats OK too. For those of you who are like that - I appologize ahead of time for offending you :G

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 6:22 AM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
As one of my martial arts masters used to say "practice makes permanent - it doesn't make perfect". So, just because you've done something for a long time doesn't mean you've done it right................

That's the approach I used when I taught martial arts and it's the approach I use when I mentor people in my IT job and it's the approach I take to photography. After the initial ego bruising most people honestly interested in what they're doing appreciate honest feedback (as long as you tell them how to improve and do so in a constructive way). Unfortunately, some people dont want that - and thats OK too. For those of you who are like that - I appologize ahead of time for offending you :G

John, like a couple of others in this forum, I was initially surprised to see what a young pup you are. You have a beautiful wife and son.

The nice thing about a bruised ego is that it doesn't leave scar tissue when it heals. When I was a young radio news director, I was trying to correct an older newscaster on some basic pronounciations. He got beligerent and actually physically threatened me, screaming. "Don't you try to tell me anything. I've got 25 years experience!" I angrily screamed back, "NO! You have one year's experience, then repeated it 25 times." A cliche exchange, but it actually happened.

I confess that sometimes my giant ego takes an occasional bruising from criticisms, but I also know that my knowledge and skill have grown leaps and bounds because of those honest evaluations and suggestions for improvement. Keep it up. You, and others in this forum, are a valuable resource for anyone who really wishes to improve his skill behind a camera.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 1:43 PM   #10
conor

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
I have a wife, Erin, whom I've been married to for 8+ years and a son, Connor who is almost 2 years old. I, myself am 37 years old. Over the years I've had numerous hobbies including skiing, scuba, backpacking, spelunking, martial arts. With the arrival of my son, the rest have gone away for a while and photography is really the only hobby I can squeeze in right now.
Great choice of name for your son! I look forward to seeing your shots!