Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1

........hi, my name is Bob Brennan

I live in Arlington, TX USA, now for 34 years. My other hobby of 30-plus years is amateur radio, I am a HAM, though not presently active my call is WD5DHF. During the late 1960 decade I lived in Southern California, worked in the motorcycle industry and got involved with racing desert events and motocross when that started.

Seems I have always been involved with hobbies of adventure. As for photography I enjoy shooting nature, local architecture and of course candid family, while my passion is high school baseball. I have one grandson yet in high school for another couple years.

I use Olympus cameras, the DSLRs being the E-300 and E-3 with 14-54, 50-200 for primary lenses. I also have a C7070WZ which is my favorite for indoor usage.

I lurked for a long while before signing onto Steve's, then lurked more before posting anything. I have followed a number of folks now for quite a while across several of the forums here but have pretty much settled with the Olympus DSLR forum as it fits my interests best.

I retired from work March 2007 having worked 48 years designing and writing mainframe computer systems for retail business financial applications. Yep, it is true, I wrote my first mainframe computer program in 1959 on an IBM 750 tube/drum computer....my Steve's profile name is pgmCoder.

Now that I have more time for photography it is my plan to better my skills. Attempting advice of the folks on Steve's forums seems the online place to do just that.

Thanks for seeing my quick bio.

My online photo account is http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/

Following JohnG's lead, this is me, the photo is a result of 'self portraiture'.
Attached Images

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:25 PM   #2

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
........hi, my name is Bob Brennan

Yep, it is true, I wrote my first mainframe computer program in 1959 on an IBM 750 tube/drum computer....my Steve's profile name is pgmCoder.

My online photo account is http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/
Hi Bob,

So that's what a computer programmer from the 50s' looks like.... (grin). Actually I'm happy to see that there are other forum members my age -as you say lurking about...

Had a chance to take a peek at your gallery. I really like the baseball action shots. Keep having fun and take lots of pictures of the grandkids as they grow up altogether too fast.

:|

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:49 PM   #3

.............thanks Zig,

Yep, I hit the 70 mark in March and feel like 39 the first time. I am having fun with retirement time and the photography hobby is so rewarding to follow those kids with.

One granddaughter is through college (TCU) and in a couple weeks grads again with her masters degree. The oldest grandson is finishing first year seminary college and his little brother (6'0" the baseball player) is finishing his sophomore year at high school. Then there are the two youngsters at 10 & 4 so we have a lot of fun times.

Thank you for your remarks, very much appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:21 PM   #4

Hey Bob,

I'm also a Steve's newbie and have been in I.T. since graduating Tech School in 1985. Though our I.T. paths are somewhat different, I have an appreciation for what you did. All of us I.T. "geeks" owe you and your generation a major THANK YOU for helping to launch an industry that has provided me with gainful employment these past 20 years.

As for my photography skills, well, lets just say I'm the a 20ma current loop, 33-ASR Teletype among a sea ofSupercomputers.

Nice bio and introduction. You sound like a very proud Grandfather, as well you should be. Enjoy the retirement and your grandchildren. You earned it!

Natty
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:42 PM   #5
Administrator

Hi Everyone Nice to see the great exchanges. Every once in a while Ilike to poke my head up from the Reviews work and check in here for some enjoyable reading.

Bob I was in Ham for a long time, my call was N4WAK, not active now but loved it and the swap meets. As a matter of fact this siteis a spin off from a BBS I had for the local Ham group. I had purchased a digital camera in 97 and wrote a white paper, posted it, and the rest as they say, is history.

Welcome, have fun, and take lots of photos.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 12:01 AM   #6

..........thanks Steve, I too did a dialup HAM BBS for several years (5) running Wildcat!. The BBS was one of very few running live 144MHZ packet via an interfaced PK-88 device and several DOORs sessions for HAMs, some of which I wrote myself.

What fun it was, then the internet happened for real which likely saved me a bunch of money with which to by photography equipment.

I enjoy Steve's very much and learning of its background start I now know why this system runs and shows as it does. Few of today's system have benefit of those good BBSs of pre internet activity days, Steve's shows it roots and has often reminded me of bygone times.

Thanks again,
_________
boBBrennan

Last edited by boBBrennan; Mar 19, 2011 at 9:08 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote