Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:12 PM   #1

Hi, I'm not only new here, I'm new to picture taking. I just brought a serious used camera(Olympus C-750)and I have some serious software(Adobe Web Premium CS3). Now I'll have to stop procrastinating about learning photography. I want to tell you now folks, I AM Green; yes with a capital G. I will have many, many question, and I invite all answers and advice.
I brought my camera from a graphic designer who inherited it but didn't need it. She didn't have the manual(I downloaded them online), CD(I don't think I need it), or the remote(I'm too green to know if I need this or not).
I will read the manual before I start with my 1001 questions, but I've already made 1 blunder. I ordered a 2GB card and found out I can't use it with this, so I'll return it for a 512MB.
tigner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:44 PM   #2

Hi Tigner1,

I can fully understand your hesitation. This is whatI have done, too. I bought my camera several weeks ago - a Canon PowerShot A 720 IS (after my traditional camera is an Olympus - I am fond of that make, too!) and I always procrastinated (Thanks for this expression - it's brand new to me! I am a teacher of English) starting taking photos.

It was 22 July this year when I tried doing it...

My first advice: Try to find a good topic then shoot it with Auto Mode, then make changes - only one at a time - when shooting the same object.

E.g. Shoot sg in the room with a flash, then without a flash. It's not easy to find where the switch is ! :-) Shoot the very topic without then with 'My colours' Mode. To use this, you have to switch form Auto to Program 'P'.

And besides keep the manual at hand.

It seems very very confusing:?at the first time - but step by step the system is becoming quite clear.

2 GB card is ideal - why have you sent it back to exchange it for a 512 MB???:? After buying my camera I imjmediately exchanged the original 512MB card for a 2 GB and I am happy with it.

Memory cards are advised to be formatted (by the camera itself) before using it.

I am Green, too, but with a little yellow shade already... :-)

Avery good book that is worth reading: Scott Kelby: The Digital Photography Book. I am looking forward to its 2nd volume to be published in my country.

Good luck!

Margarita

Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 7:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the encouragment and info. I sent the card back because while looking for a card reader I looked on Sandisk site and the have a warning up from Olympus, that their 2GB may not work in the camera :?.I actually called Olympus and a tech told me that's true, 512MB was the max for this camera. I called Adorama, and they told me to refuse the delivery(wouldn't you know, as long as they took to send it, when I looked in the mail box, it was there). The good news is Olympus had the H512MB card $10.00 cheaper than anywhere else. I alsogot the Sandisk USB 12 in 1 reader/writer new and still sealed in the package for $10.00 on ebay, so I'm saving a lot of money on accessories I'm also bidding on the FL-40 flash on ebay.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of shooting the same subject, which would of course show me the real difference Auto is all I've been using so far.

I didn't know about formatting the card before use. but that makes sense. Thanks.

I went to a MAC Photography Workshop(even thought I have a PC)in April and they had both Kelby books there. I understand the new one is not a revision but covers different material so I'll get both. I'll be reporting my progress.

Thanks again:-D

Denise
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:03 AM   #4

Hi Denise,

I see. Then when you get practice you should take more cards with you and spare batteries of course. (It is needed for my camera as well.)

I've found a good page for you to study - this is what I have done with my camera so as to get acquainted with it: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c750uz-review

If you click on Photo Gallery (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol.../gallery.shtml)

you can see View EXIF data - it is extremely useful as it tells you about the settings. You can learn a lot from it - and you can imitate the setting in your own camera and see the results.

I must say the process of acquiring skills needs time. This is why after overcoming my fears I left it to my summer holidays when I needn't be in a hurry and can take time to investigate and make trials - and errors, (of course).

I amlooking forward to your first trial. You can send it to this email address: [email protected]

:bye:Margarita

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:56 AM   #5

I've gotten in a little practice, but not as much as I'd like. I haven't even gotten to the manual the way I'd like. I have my 5 year old granddaughter during the week. She's a very very good girl, but she's still only 5 and needs lots of attention, and on top of that we got a 15 week old puppy the day after I got the camera. Need I say more:crazy:. So this will be a slow process for me, but I willpursueit every chance I get.

I discovered DCRP just the other day while searching for site that I could learn from; you're right it is a great site. I also discovered http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol.../gallery.shtmlwhile looking for the card, and this has to be one of the best http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm.

I've been looking at accessories and I think a difusser will be necessary. Have you tried any? I've been considering the Gary Fong difusser, you can see it here http://store.garyfonginc.com/.All of the review and 99.9% of the user oppinions are very positive. It's is, however, a little pricey, but then so is photography. I might wait a bit and see if I can catch it on sale.You can send anything to me at [email protected].

Denise:bye:

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:51 PM   #6

Hi Denise,

Yahoo is out of order at the moment so I am copying my email here.

I haven't heard about this diffuser - but according to the photo samples it seems very useful.

I would like to buy a polar filter and a sun protector (polar filter neutralizes the unnecessary glittering).

I have found very good and free photo editor programs on the net:
IrfanView
Paint.NET
PhotoFiltre

They all correct our mistakes made during taking photos :-)

We must be the about same age (I'm 52) and it is even more difficult when we are not the so called Computer Generation who are born with the computer and digital skills :-)

I've found a very good programme for correction portraits, that is Portrait Professional. A trial program can be downloaded - I managed to make myself a covergirl with it :-)

Kindest regards,

Margarita