Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Dec 2, 2008, 3:48 PM   #1

I am thinking of starting a business. I would go into homes and either scan or photograph their hanging pictures. Also would scan their photos and put everything on a dvd or cd for safe keeping, in case of a disaster. Would create a backup to be given to someone outside of the home. Does anyone think this business would work and also I have no idea how much to charge.

joyceb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:55 PM   #2

Anything is possible but I wouldn't think it's a service most people would pay enough money to make it worth your while. Photo/video documentation for insurance purposes isn't so much about high quality photography. The resulting images aren't something of emotional value. And, unless the people have gone through a disaster I couldn't see them paying $50 for the service. But I could be completely wrong. Having photo/video evidence of your belongings is a great idea and one the insurance companies recommend. The tough job would be the marketing - convincing people it's worth paying for.

What I would suggest before doing it is checking with some insurance companies (starting with your own) to see what TYPE of documentation is preferred. Do they prefer video over still or doesn't matter. Do you need serial numbers photographed? You're talking about selling a product that will help with insurance companies so make sure your product does exactly that. Having to photograph model numbers and such will add a LOT of time to your effort so that could impact whether it's cost justified. But, find out from insurance companies what they would want then go thru your house and a friend or family member's house and find out how much time it takes to document and produce the deliverable (assuming a dvd for the client). Then figure out what you would charge to make that worth your time. Ask friends and family if they'd be willing to pay that much for the service. Perhaps your insurance company can help you with some marketing info - such as how this document helps out with their claim in a disaster. If you can provide info from the insurance company that this product could save them thousands of $$$ then suddenly it might be worth paying for. If you can't prove to them it will get them more money in an insurance claim your product probably wouldn't have any perceived value. Hope that ramble made sense.

Anyway welcome to Steves!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:26 PM   #3

I am only thinking of photographing their pictures. Not to get into insurance end at all. What about seniors that don't think they can move. They don't know what to do with all their pictures on the wall and elsewhere. Our condo is for sale, and I took everything personal off the walls. I spent time while back and took pictures of all my pictures and photo albums, and have them on an external hard drive. In case of a fire or disaster all I have to grab is the hard drive.

This is my thinking for what it is worth.
joyceb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:41 PM   #4

sorry- misunderstood.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote