Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:06 PM   #1

Hello all...When I was younger, I was quite involved with photography, but gave it up many years ago for a lot of different reasons, most of them related to a young persons lack of funds.

I recently decided to get back into things with the new DSLR's, and finally have made my purchase. I got what I saw as an incredible deal through Best Buy here in Canada, so I figured now is as good a time as any to pick it up again.

I searched high and low for long while, but when I saw BestBuy selling the Sony Alpha A300 at $429 CDN (about $350 US) with the lens kit (Sony 18-70) when they normally sell it for $700, I couldn't hold myself back! I expect it to arrive anyday now, so I'm lurking around to get as much info as I can before it gets here. I have already picked up a 70 - 300 Tamron on Ebay ($100), so I'm pretty stoked for everything to arrive. I know the kit lens and Tamron aren't the greatest, but they are a good way for me to get comfortable with things again, without arousing the boss' (aka wife's)attention!!!.

I hope to learn a lot from you folks, and maybe meet a friend or two along the way. Happy New Year to all, and thanks for having me!
mahoganyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:20 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

Not to reply to your first post with a negative question but did you order from a reputable store? If something is too good to be true then it probably is so please do double check so you don't get into difficulties.

Getting away from that, I'm sure you will love the A300, I had a Konica Minolta 5D (Sony bought KM) and it came with the same lens and although not the greatest out there it is also not the worse and will certainly enable you to learn a lot.

I also had the Tamron and that performed pretty well so I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with all your new 'toys'.

Let us know how you get on and please post some photos when you get your kit. If you want to learn then this is a really good place to do it as there are some good photographers here, we don't have a lot of Pro shooters but most of us are keen/obsessed amateurs LOL.

Happy shooting,

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the welcome Mark. I did buy from a reputable dealer, or at least I think so - BestBuy Canada. They are a huge chain here in Canada and the US.

The chain has a good return policy, and I can easily return things toany of theirstores if it doesn't work out, so I would expect no issue.

That's what made this deal all that much more amazing - a reputable dealer and a great price!!
mahoganyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote