Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:22 PM   #1

hello all!! my name is tiffanie (obviously :?) anyways i have always been fasinated by photography, just never had money to get anything. I recently bought a nikon coolpix p80. LOVE it.. but i want to get an SLR (never used one before -gahhhh :?) don't know which one to get.. ?? and i love this website and the pictures you guys post.. i mean gee, i thought my coolpix p80 took good pictues and i look at all of yours, and im way tooembarassed to post mine! lol! i also enjoy reading all of the information that you guys dish out. so smart. i feel dumb. but hopefully i can learn from the best!! :-)hope to be chatting to some of you guys soon!!

ps.. i tried to upload my picture instead of an avitar.. and it wont let me.. says its too big.. doesanyone know maybe what im doing wrong??

-Tiffanie
tiffanie019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2009, 6:39 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums, and please don't feel embarrassed to post images. That way, members can help you figure out how to improve them. ;-)

As for your Avatar, you'll need to make sure it's size (width x height) is no larger than 200 x 200 pixels, and it's file size is no larger 16,000 bytes.

You can use an image editor to downsize it to the required size. One free product is Irvanview. You'll see a resize option under Image>Resize/Resample. Just make sure the largest dimension is 200 pixels or less.

When you save the image (using File>Save As), I'd make it a jpeg file and uncheck the boxes that pop up for retaining exif and iptc (not needed for an avatar) to keep file sizes within limits. I'd probably use around 80% jpeg quality (you'll see a quality slider when you use File>Save As option and pick jpeg as the file type), and see if that's small enough to attach as your Avatar. If not, reduce the jpeg quality using the slider you'll see when saving a file (which will also reduce it's file size).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:51 PM   #3

okay, does my picture look blurry to anyone? it kinda looks blurry on myside, but it might be my computer.. :?
tiffanie019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4

tiffanie019 wrote:
Quote:
okay, does my picture look blurry to anyone? it kinda looks blurry on myside, but it might be my computer.. :?*
It does not really look blurry, but it is really over-exposed which is what causes all the highlights on your face to be washed out.

Try using a faster shutter speed or position the camera and flash farther away from your face. I think you will find that you will get a better and more evenly exposed picture.

Hope I helped.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote