Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old May 1, 2009, 6:50 AM   #1

G'day to everyone

Just purchased a new Canon SX1 IS and get it on Tuesday.
This will be my first "Flash Camera" after stepping up from a little Olympus pocket camera.

I'm very excited about learning photography as my new hobby as it doesn't seem an expensive hobby to have.

I hope to use it on it's first outing to an international game of rugby league between NZ and Australia next Friday.
Do any of you have any helpful tips, or advise in using this camera?
Thank you in advance

Mike

Murph-51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2009, 7:06 AM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Mike, and congrats on getting a new camera.

A good place to find and share information about your new camera is our Canon Forum.

You may also want to visit our Sports & Action Photos Forum, where you'll find photos and tips from some of our Sports Shooters. If you share some there from your upcoming Rugby Game, you may find that some of our members can make suggestions on areas you may want to improve in.

Quote:
I'm very excited about learning photography as my new hobby as it doesn't seem an expensive hobby to have.
That depends on what you want to shoot, the conditions you want to shoot in, and your expectations for quality. Some of our Sports Shooters have been known to spend thousands of dollars for a single lens to allow them to take better photos in tough conditions (for example, night football games where motion blur and lack of detail can be a problem unless you're using very high ISO speeds with a very bright lens that allows you to "fill the frame" more with your subject from greater shooting distances).

It's not very hard to spend a lot of money on photography. :-)

But, the good news is that you can get good photos in many conditions (for example, outdoors in good light) without a lot of expense. Use for images also comes into the equation (print size and more).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 7:37 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Mike and welcome :|

Congratulations on the SX1, I'm pleased to say that I have this as a part of my kit so sure you will like it.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Some of our Sports Shooters have been known to spend thousands of dollars for a single lens to allow them to take better photos in tough conditions (for example, night football games where motion blur and lack of detail can be a problem unless you're using very high ISO speeds with a very bright lens that allows you to "fill the frame" more with your subject from greater shooting distances).

It's not very hard to spend a lot of money on photography. :-)
I'm also one of these people who has one lens that currently goes for over £3,000 and one for over $1,500 to help with sports work so I can hopefully give a good cross section of information.

With the SX1, make sure you have digital zoom turned off. I would go with sports mode to start with as it will do the basics for you to help getting the shot you want. Give the camera time to focus and track the subject. If you are framing tight (recommended) then pan smoothly keeping your subject in the same place in the frame.

For now I would mainly say have fun, try different things and then share how you get on.

Happy shooting!!

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote