Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old May 21, 2009, 1:51 PM   #1

Default New to the game!!

Hi everyone,

I came across this forum while doing some research on DSLR's. I haven't bought a new camera yet but I have been doing research and have narrowed down pretty to the Sony Alpha line.

I was almost ready to jump in till I heard that Sony was getting ready to release upgraded models. I know all cameras have their pros an cons but I really like what Sony is doing. Specifically I'm looking at the 300 & now the 330, the prices of these units seem to fall in line with with all the features I'm after.

Live view with tilting screen, in body image stabilization, and eye sensor auto focus are all features I was excited about with the 300. Now with the 330's higher built in flash, friendlier user interface, slimmer design and new SMA lenses I'm even more excited and leaning further towards the Sony. I'm a little dissapointed that they slowed down the continuos shooting a little bit, but coming from a Nikkon Coolpix 4100 P&S it will be leaps and bounds ahead of my experience with that camera (which I really have grown to hate).

Anyhow looking foward to finally jumping in and getting a real camera to get some nice shots with. Looking to shoot family events, kids sports, vacations, and whatever else comes my way.

I have college nearby which actually offers a camera course for a little over $100 bucks, do you guys think it's worth it so I can learn to get the most out of the camera I go with? It's a weekly 2 hour course for 8 weeks I believe, so it must cover quite a bit.

I am mostly a do it youself type of person but taking a course on something with a steep learning curve will probably help to learn things that might otherwise go unused, perhaps.

Thanks for reading my long post , looking foward to being an active participant once I get a real camera
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2009, 2:02 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums! We've got a great group of people. If you've got questions about the Sony Alpha line - jump down to the Sony DSLR forum and our Sony DSLR users will be glad to help you out. We've got other forums for specific genres of photography so feel free to ask questions there (remember many questions have little to do with the camera you're using - a nikon birder can often give you better advice than a sony person that doesn't bird etc...).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 2:22 PM   #3

Great, thanks for the tips.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:47 PM   #4

Thanks maggiebrown and welcome.