Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Welcome! Introduce yourself here

Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Hello for MA

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the photo shooting game. I've always had point and shoots and got tired of having crappy pictures of my kids standing on stage in the auditorium 50 feet away. (Wish i had jumped on the bandwagon earlier....)

I bought a Canon Rebel XS and love it so far. Having a blast picking fun lenses - and spending wayyy more than I should considering my level of expertise. I have more questions than i can put into words so I have been spending time looking at websites and learning about f stop and shutter speed and aperture, and trying to figure out what they mean to my picture. Finally understanding a little but I've got a LONG way to go!

Here's to a lot of learning....

-Diane
Not_a_digi_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums Diane. Once you have a good understanding of how iso speed, aperture, shutter speed and lighting are related, then you're ahead of most users. Of course, getting things like timing and composition right is harder. ;-)

Please make sure to share some photos from your Canon XS.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:11 PM   #3

I posted a couple. My favorite lens so far is my Canon EF-S 10mm - 22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM AF wide angle.I took the picutre of the lake with it.

Last edited by Not_a_digi_diva; Jun 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM. Reason: didn't come out right
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:25 PM   #4
Administrator

I see that you've already found some of our forums in the Post Your Photos section. We have a Landscapes forum you could post some of your lake photos in.

If the photos aren't attaching, they're probably too large (either their dimensions in pixels or their file size).

You'll want to downsize them to around 1024 pixels or smaller on their longest side. Keep in mind that many members may be using displays with 1024x768 or less resolution (especially with laptops and netbooks). So, you want to make sure that photos are easily viewable without most members needing to scroll to see an entire image. The file size will also need to be less than around 256KB.

If you don't have an editor with a resize choice, your can use something like the free Irfanview to resize an image (look under Image>Resize/Resample). I'd make the longest side around 800 pixels or so. Then, when you save the image after resizing (File>Save As), select jpeg as the file type and set the JPEG Quality slider you'll see pop up to around 80%. That will probably get the file size within limits as long as the image is downsized to smaller dimensions first.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:23 PM   #5

Yes, I've learned that. Uploading pics for the album had the same constraints. Fortunately my software does that.

Thanks for your help and thoughts.....
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:46 PM   #6

Hi there Not a Digi Diva,

Im a newb to, even more so don't even have my camera yet but it's coming. Been getting some good advice here and am just about ready to buy.

Anyhow welcome from another MA native down in the South Shore.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 10:11 AM   #7

hey Oman!

I'm a MA native as well. Grew up in Winchester. Where are you?

Any idea what kind of camera you're buying?

Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:18 PM   #8

I grew up in Boston, and moved to the South Shore when I bought my first home. Moved further south a few years later down Rt.24, not to far from the Raynham Dog Track.

As far as cameras I've been eye'ing the Sony a300 & the new a330 along with the Olympus E-620. They're all pretty comparable with some suttle differences. What I really like about them is the live view implementation with tilting or articulating screen, the in body Image Stabilization and in the Sony's the Eye Start Auto Focus. What I'm really waiting on is to be able and check out the a330 in person as it is just being released by Sony.

Canon makes an excellent camera. I actually got to check out a 5D Mark II 21.1 MP unit this weekend at a Baptism. Simply an amazing Pro camera.

Hope to see you around the forum.
oman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:32 AM   #9

Welcome

One of the main differences between the A300 and A330 is that the a330 uises SDHC cards and the a300 uses Compactflash cards

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote